Topic

Small Bearboxer for JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I"m kinda mulling over the idea of doing the JMT this summer.

I'd like to use my MLD Burn, so that somewhat limits my choice of bear canister. The smallest one I can think of is the smaller Bearboxer or is it bareboxer.

Think this is doable if one uses the convenient/standard re-supply points?

I'll be using a hexamid tent that rolls up real small (almost Nalgene size), a WM Summerlite, and MB ex-lite so everything is pretty compact.

My food will be self-dehydrated ground beef, pasta, peppers and olive oil, which all becomes very small.. maybe a few snickers bars.

For anyone who has a bareboxer, just as a point of reference, how many full 9" X 10" Opsaks can I fit in it. I won't be using Opsaks w/canister, it's just how I package my food now. I can fit 3 full opsaks in my Burn.

Thanks in advance.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

I just got a small bareboxer. It holds 275 cubic inches which is about 4.5 liters. It's less than half the volume of a Garcia bear canister (614 cu inches, 10 liters). I worked out how many calories I can fit in it but forget what it worked out to — sorry. It's 3 or 4 days of food, optimistically. I think 3 days of food plus carrying the first days food outside the canister.

Take a small box, or even better a large can of about 7" or 8" in diameter, mark the height that equals 275 cubic inches and start cramming and see what fits.

This article tells how to pack (cram) a bear canister. He says he can fit 18 pounds of food into a canister (presumably a 600+ cu inch garcia). So we should be able to fit 8 pounds into the bareboxer. He is really cramming stuff in — "Once you open a properly packed canister you will NEVER get all that stuff back in."
    http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/health/canistercare.doc

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools