Topic

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider Backpack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hyperlite Mountain Gear Windrider Backpack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

hehe! i knew that would ruffle at least one feather..
    ;)

i'll likely try this pack at some point, as a guy i hiked with angelo has one and it looks pretty sharp.

im not totally convinced tho, at this point, that i need a 26oz pack.

David Ure

@familyguy

I hate when people bring up valid points…; )

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I suspect that if you want the pack to be stiffer you would get more benefit from making your own stays that are 1/8 in thick than using two 1/16 in thick stays in each pocket. 1/2in by 1/8in 6061 aluminium bar is readily available and it would be a simple project to cut and bend some stronger stays for this pack.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I bought one laid it next to my ohm and just don't get it. My ohm hold more, weighs less and cost less

Why do I want this pack?

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

A few things I like better… I've had both. I like the material better than Dyneema. It seems more durable, but only time will tell. I like the look of it too.

I prefer the roll-top over the drawstring. Gives a much better seal from the weather and a more sleek look. Though it's technically not waterproof (dunkproof), it will keep water out much better than the Ohm and I'm no longer using the Hefty bag as a bag liner which means less hassle when loading the pack. Because of this, the weight difference is then only about an ounce.

The HMG pack is much more bushwack worthy. With all the nylon on the Ohm and the lighter weight mesh, I'd be much more hesitant to take it off trail. I have no concerns with the HMG pack.

I really like the accessory straps and the top strap on the HMG as it opens up the option to use it for winter camping. I didn't hold them side by side as I didn't have them at the same time, but it seems the top strap is longer on the HMG so you could roll up a thick CCF and put it on top. I never took the ohm winter camping and I don't think it would have worked for me, but I think the HMG will.

I loved the compression cordage that the ohm uses, and that's one thing I miss about it and wish the HMG had.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I agree I like the roll top closure better. The top strap on the ohm is just as long, but I believe the top strap on the HMG is a Y (I dont have the pack anymore to look) so it might hold the pad better than a single strap on the ohm.

I did about 18 miles this weekend completely off trail in the mountains above tahoe. I had the ohm with me.

I dont see any durability issues bushwhacking with my pack. The volume of the main compartment is higher on the ohm, so that makes it easier for me for colder weather gear.

If I really had to take snow shoes and a shovel and axe, I wouldnt use my ohm, but I dont think I would have used the hmg either. Too much weight and not enough space for that season (in my opinion).

Dont get me wrong, its a nice pack, I just dont see the "value".

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

Well, I guess I did get mine slightly used and half the price of new, so it was easy for me to justify. ;-)

I also have a newer golite pinnacle so it will be a toss-up for winter trekking and will depend on conditions and how much large volume stuff I end up taking. I prefer keeping everything inside the pack if possible and not have stuff hanging off or strapped on the outside…

Most of my trips these days are with family (little kids), so the ability to carry extra weight and volume is necessary and yet have packs that compress down when not. I put all the large volume lightweight stuff (insulation, pads, clothes) in the pinnacle and my wife (or sister) carries that. I put the denser, heavier items in the HMG/Ohm as it has the smaller volume, yet can handle more weight than most lower volume packs (because of the stays).

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

> Though it's technically not waterproof (dunkproof), it will keep water out

Maybe HMG would be better of calling it rainproof rather than waterproof, to avoid confusion :)

Nicholas Viglione
    BPL Member

@nicholas-viglionegmail-com

A note on the price. If you're willing to get the "old" model of the Windrider, it's currently on a last-years-goods sale on the HMG website for $175. Makes the price quite a bit more reasonable for most I would think. Cheers.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/products/specialdeals.html

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools