Topic

4.8 oz. Day Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 4.8 oz. Day Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Shane Bailey

@shane112510

4.8 oz. Day Pack

Finished weight: 4.8 oz. (includes the shoulder strap system)

I will go ahead and admit that this day pack was partly inspired by Chris Zimmer's HalfPack 2.0.

Before I go into some details about this pack, there is a story about how I ended up making this day pack. A few years ago (before I got into MYOG) I got a Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack. I loved the idea of the pack, and it was very comfortable, though very heavy for its size. Here is a picture of that pack.

Mountainsmith Tour Pack

Once I got into MYOG, I decided to modify that pack. I cut off everything except the hip belts and back panel. I made new panels, added an extension collar, added bigger water bottle pockets, and added a big mesh pocket. After all the modifications, the pack weighed 15 oz. Here is a picture of the Modified Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar pack.

Modified Mountainsmith Tour Pack

For a while it was a great day lumbar pack, but once I got into Backpackinglight and MYOG, I wanted to make a new day pack that was much lighter.

A few months ago I had worked on a similar day lumbar pack as this 4.8 oz. day pack but was not satisfied with it. That original project started out as a lumbar pack, but it did not ride well (pulled back too much), and it weighed 9 oz. just for the pack without any shoulder straps. I added shoulder straps to that original day pack, and it still did not feel right. Pictured below was that original project.

Original Homemade Day Lumbar Pack

I ended up cutting up that homemade lumbar pack, and I continued to use the modified Mountainsmith until I saw Chris Zimmer's HalfPack 2.0. It then dawned on me that I could remake the day pack I've been wanting and have it ride the way I want, which was mainly on my shoulders and with the back pulled up to keep it from bouncing.

I spent a couple of days obsessing over the details of the pack wanting to make it super light, and shortly after that, I was cutting up more fabric and sewing.

Main pack

Side View

Back Panel View

The main pack and pockets are 70D ripstop nylon. The bottom is 200D Oxford.

The shoulder straps are where I saved the most weight. I wanted the comfort of 3D Mesh and padding, so I only put the 3D Mesh and foam pad on the shoulder portion of the strap.

3D Mesh

Also, instead of webbing, I used 3/16 flat nylon cord with LineLoc 3's to connect the shoulder straps to the pack.

LineLoc 3 with nylon cord

nylon cord back panel

I also sewed the 1/2" grosgrain sternum strap to the shoulder strap and eliminated the need for webbing on the shoulder straps.

sternum strap

Instead of a hip belt, I only sewed in some grosgrain loops, because I want the pack to ride mostly on my shoulders and use a cord belt to keep the pack from swinging. I may sew on 1/2" webbing with a buckle if I don't like the cord as a belt.

One big thing I found out after I made the pack was that the shoulder straps being connected to the black back panel was not needed at all. I originally had 1/2" webbing connected to the back panel from the shoulder straps, but when I pulled the pack up to the shoulder straps with the nylon cord load lifters, the webbing that was connected to the back panel was completely loose. I ended up cutting that webbing off the pack and shoulder straps and just left the nylon cord load lifters. Once I did that, the pack felt much better and it was now even lighter than I had planned.

In short, this new 4.8 oz. day pack is now the lightest and most comfortable day pack I have used, and I want to thank Chris Zimmer and his HalfPack 2.0 for inspiring me to make this pack after nearly giving up on day packs.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very cool! Nice job Shane!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Shane,
    Very nice job on your Half Ruck Pack I really like how you used different fabrics, elastic webbing, Lineloc3 for your pack straps Very innovative configuration of a light weight strap system for small packs the Lineloc3 ladder locks will work great for light loads.
    Terry

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Shane,

Very nice looking day pack!

After reading through your post I see that you are already familiar with the following words.

Form follows function, never give up and try to think outside the box.

I see skillful sewing and functional minimalistic design in this day pack of yours.

What's the volume? Nice job on the elastic binding of the water bottle pockets. Are they 1 liter/quart sized? How much weight do you carry in it?

Well done

Party On,

Newton

Shane Bailey

@shane112510

Thanks, Douglas and Terry.

Newton,

The volume, if you stuff the extension collar and not including the pocket on the outside, is around 18 Liters. Water bottle pockets are 1 liter sized. I also rounded the bottom of the water bottle pockets to save some weight (very little, but it all adds up). The most weight I usually carry on a day hike is probably around 6.5 or 7 lbs. (includes food and water). Could be less, could be more, depending on weather, water sources, etc.

After wearing it around some, it is very comfortable and rides very well. Connecting the shoulder straps to the panel furthest from my back makes the pack ride completely vertical with the back panel square on my lower back. However, the side panels on this pack are only 5 inches wide, so I'm not sure how a bigger (fatter, if you will) day pack would feel with this same configuration. For the size of this pack, I think it works great. Also, I may not put any kind of belt on it. It basically feels like a comfortable school backpack (the kind you carry school books in), but without the "back" part of it.

Here are a couple pictures of the water bottle pockets. Pictured is a 1 Liter Powerade bottle, my bottle of choice, usually.

1 Liter Powerade bottle

Bottom

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Shane,

Very nice work! I see top stitching, curved seams and some very neat work on that elastic binding at the top of the water bottle pockets.

Since the front panel attachment points for the shoulder straps are directly sewn to the 70 D fabric have you given any thought to some reinforcements on the interior of the pack? Do you think that they are necessary with the stated load that you are carrying?

FWIW I believe two reinforcements (one per point) of the 70 D nylon cut just a little larger than the attachment points may be sufficient. I'd bond and sew them into place. Finally I would stitch through the attachment points, main body and reinforcements to form them into a unit.

Is your 70 D nylon PU or silicone coated?

Outstanding! Keep up the great MYOG work. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Shane Bailey

@shane112510

Honestly, I would say reinforcements aren't necessary with such light loads, as long as you aren't running and making the pack constantly bounce around. I'm sure simple X box reinforcement stitching would be sufficient. However, I still chose to reinforce all shoulder strap attachment points (on the straps and pack) with 200D Oxford sewn to the 70 D nylon. What you described is just about exactly what I did (minus the bonding) with the attachment points on the front panel, it just may be hard to tell in the pictures. It definitely wasn't meant to be bombproof, but I wanted some reinforcement.

The 70 D ripstop nylon is PU coated.

Attachment Point

There is a patch of Oxford on the inside as well.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be looking forward to your next MYOG pack.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Shane,

"It definitely wasn't meant to be bombproof, but I wanted some reinforcement."

We are of similar minds in design and fabrication of our MYOG projects. ;-)

It sounds to me like your daypack will be a long lasting well constructed piece of gear. Nicely done!

"I'll be looking forward to your next MYOG pack."

The material has been ordered and shipped. ;-)

I hope to start construction this weekend.

Party On,

Newton

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Hey Shane, great job the pack looks nice! I like how you used the linelocs for the harness system, very cool!

Shane Bailey

@shane112510

Thanks, Chris.

I will be looking forward to your next MYOG pack(s) along with Newton's and everyone else's. I love the synergy we all get from everyone posting their MYOG packs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools