Topic

Te Araroa – The Long Pathway – New Zealand

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Te Araroa – The Long Pathway – New Zealand

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

A brand new continuous trail stretching the entire length of the North and South Islands of New Zealand is almost complete. The 3000km route will officially open later in 2011.

Here's a link to the official homepage: Te Araroa

Te Araroa

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Looks great. Wasn't there a thread to a hyper-linked blog of someone hiking the unfinished trail on BPL?

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

This has been on my to do list for a couple of years. I have a friend who was talking about doing it in 2012 and writing a guide book similar to the various AT books. He invited me along, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to save up the money for it that fast.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

double post

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Another blog of a Te Araroa trip with lots of cool pics I found online. Cookie also has previously thru-hiked the CDT and offers some insights between the two trails.

nickyandcookie.com

Judith Humbert
    BPL Member

@singingwind

Woohooo! It's a fantastic track and usually pretty quiet, at least so far. Not many hikers – I only met one other long distance hiker in 700km of walking, a man from TN – I think we were both a bit surprised!

Here's some of the folks I enjoyed following during the 2010-11 season:

Nicky and Cookie did an awesome blog. Cookie also created a complete map set for the trail and provided it as a free download from his web site (made-in-england.com? – thanks Cookie!). It was the only abbreviated set available at the time (Sept, 2010) other than buying all the requisite Topo50 maps. The TA Trust has since come out with their own full-color version that can be obtained from their site.

Tasty Trek, three young men fundraising for development projects, kept a pretty detailed log – see tastytrek.com.

Shalane Hopkins and Alex Ward – two women on a fundraising effort – for an education project in the Solomon Islands – see see shalanehopkins.blogspot.com and missionlivelife.com.

Another guy (his name escapes me at the moment – Stuart?) walked all but 700km – see myadventureplus.com.

Jesse Peeters walked the North Island – see walk2welly.blogspot.com.

Tengu and perhaps Canadoug have already been mentioned. Their accounts can both be found on trailjournals.com. Clod walked with Tengu for quite a while, but not sure if she kept her own online account.

Rob and Deb were also hiking long distance this year – see robanddebsbigadventure.blogspot.com.

The TA Facebook and Google groups are also good resources if you're looking for more info.

So far the trail's been alot of fun and hugely challenging. I'm looking forward to getting back out when the weather warms up a bit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools