Topic

Critique My Pack Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Critique My Pack Idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Julyan-Gudgeon

@cyanide

Locale: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

So, I have finished sketching'up my pack idea and I am thinking I may have found someone who can help me put this thing together. But, its my first pack design and so I am not so arrogant to presume I know what I am doing. With that, I am posting some images of what the design looks like, and am interested in hearing peoples opinions.

The intent is to hold, rather snuggly and very stable, a number of stuff sacks and gear in various sized bags into a carry-able mass. Its not as minimalistic as some designs I have seen here though. I am trying to find a comfortable median that suits my wants and needs.

Keep in mind, I love having a top compartment. It keeps my life much more organized on the trail and makes packing and camp life much more enjoyable for me.

It consists of a bottom compartment that compresses all the campsite gear, a mid compartment that is fairly minimal, side pockets that are more tie-sleeves of mesh or cuben fiber. Since the side walls of the pack are minimal, these sleeves/pockets don't create any wall redundancy. Finally, the top compartment. This avoids redundancy in the sense that the top of main compartment is open. Further, heavy materials are used on areas of high abrasion and duress while ultra-thin materials where strength is not needed (eg underside of the top compartment). I am thinking all compression straps should be cords, attaching through tie-loops or o-rings.

The harness isn't shown as I am just not that skilled yet. My z-lite thermarest is cut down in size and folds into a compartment for the back-pad, and 4 tent poles, used in the tent form an externally accessible hard-frame. Maybe the harness will be attached through the hard-frame to distribute weight away from fatigue-able seams.

Cheers

John

Overview

Bottom Compartment

Side Compression Panels

Side Pockets

With Lid

Where the sleeping Pad Lives

Well, that's the short explanation. One choice fellow go a longer explanation ;)

Cheers

John

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I think I get the concept. It is a little hard for an old guy like me to follow the drawings, but is the top compartment the trapezoidal shaped part? Will it be able to scissor up and down to accomodate diff stuff sacks?
    Cant wait to see the final product.

keep thinking outside the box.

Dave

John Julyan-Gudgeon

@cyanide

Locale: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

You know, I hadn't thought of that. But, when you look at the design as it is…its already designed in such a way that you could rig that in seconds. By simply running the anterior attachment cords for the upper lid compartment down to where the bottom compartment wrap-wall attaches to the main compartment front panel you create the proper anchor point and then the whole top of the pack slides down and compresses without effort. But that might mess up how the load-lifter mechanism works, as it uses the higher position of the upper lid compartment for mechanical advantage to lift the bottom section up.

But, I love that such a suggestion was immediately implementable by the current design features (despite being fairly minimal). One of the things I did with this was trying to make each design feature do double-duty whenever possible. Just like gear, each feature needed to satisfy mutliple needs/uses.

Thanks for that idea, it helps me tighten up my design where ever mental weakness still exists in the design.

Cheers

John

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

The ideas and help that you get is great.

You had mentioned using tent poles for rigidity. why not rig them in a sleeve and they could be your load lifters , thus freeing your top lid to be part of the compression mechanism. In this case you could vary what you carry in the middle. (sorry,but my mind is still infuenced by my modular pack that I just made)

enjoy

Dave

P.S. check out Daryl"s pack – he uses a u channel made out of alum or carbon fiber to transfer weight to the hip belt

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

John,
    Great Cad drawings of the pack I wish I had that talent, I still rely on my hand drawn drafting skills.
    The design is pretty cool the internal compression was used on older heavier packs of Yak paks,Dana designs, Vortex packs in different ways of configuring straps. The pack looks like a very progressive design and very cool.

From the drawings the pack looks to be about 8 to 10 inches deep. The pad in the sleeve frame should not be on the outside of the pack or it will push the load away from your back put stress on your shoulders pulling away from your back. The pad should be in a zippered pocket that needs to go inside the pack and half of 3/4 lenght pad thickness goes inside the pack and the other part stick through 3d foam or nylon. You need to make the pack back 11.75" wide at the stitch line to allow the Z rest pad virtual frame to work correctly 20 " tall.
    Terry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools