Topic

Could I split 5.0 Climashield into 2.5?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Could I split 5.0 Climashield into 2.5?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kylie Ghim

@ksghim

I'm wondering if I could "split" 5.0 oz Climashield Apex into two pieces of 2.5 oz apex? I have a couple yards of 5.0 oz apex except I realized I don't need insulation of that loft & weight, I need something lighter. Theoretically it seems possible, it seems like it would be easy to separate and the hardest part would be getting it to split evenly for the whole length. Any thoughts or maybe even quite possibly, experiences? I don't want to completely mess up the insulation & end up with nothing at all, but I also don't want, or at the moment, need a quilt with a low temp rating. Let me know what you guys think.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I'm wondering if I could "split" 5.0 oz Climashield Apex into two pieces of 2.5 oz apex? … Theoretically it seems possible, it seems like it would be easy to separate and the hardest part would be getting it to split evenly for the whole length. Any thoughts or maybe even quite possibly, experiences?

I've done that sort of thing with Climashield XP and unless Apex is fundamentally different (probably not) I can agree with your assessment … yes it is easy to separate and yes it is not so easy to end up with a uniform thickness.

In my case I was using 2.5oz XP and it had areas thicker than others … that being due to the fact that the thickness is built up using overlapping thinner pieces of a yard or so in size. Where pieces ended it got thinner for a while until another piece was layered on.

Since I was hoping to push the lower temp range of a quilt I wanted to thicken the thin areas. I split pieces of scrap left over after cutting the insulation to my pattern and layered the split pieces over the thinner areas. I ended up with an average of about 3oz/yd^2 and a quilt that has kept me warm around 40*F.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I think I would only do this if trying to get 3.5 to 4 oz sheet of climashield apex or just buy 2.5 oz. and shingle constructed the quilt to get a effective thicker loft in the area you want. I am still thinking a about making a shingle quilt myself to get rid of the bulk.
    Terry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools