Topic

Pack strap pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Pack strap pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I'm working on a pack and I like the idea of putting large pockets on the shoulder straps to distribute the load. I can think of several advantages to this but I only occasionally see it on commercial or MYOG packs. Chest packs accomplish the same thing, I realize, but I like to run a bit with my pack on, and a chest pack snug enough for running would be too warm for me on hot days, I think. Strap pockets don't increase torso coverage by the pack, and they're already snug. Has anyone tried packs with extensive strap storage and disliked it for any reason? I'm wondering why it isn't universal.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I dislike large strap pockets mainly because they feel like they're in the way and my pack is light enough that I don't feel like I need the extra weight distribution. If they were very large it seems like they'd restrict arm movement at the shoulders as well. On your pack you could make the pockets removable and see if you like them and could then try different designs and sizes. Definitely show us what you come up with!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools