Topic

Alcohol stove – fancy feast can – is it Aluminium or iron sheet or what?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alcohol stove – fancy feast can – is it Aluminium or iron sheet or what?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Claudio Zanoni
    BPL Member

@zachiator

Hi All,

I am trying to build a fancy feast can stove and getting frustrated…

Similar cans here (Switzerland) weigh about 30g (as opposed to 9g for the Fancy feast, source Andrew Skurka's page) and the material seems to be iron sheet (have to use a drill and push hard to get it the job done)

Is the American Fancy Feast cat food can is made out of aluminium? So it's lighter and easier to penetrate

Does anyone know a comparable product in Europe?

Cheers,
    Claudio

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Is the American Fancy Feast cat food can is made out of aluminium?"

Yes, it is very thin aluminum.

American short-haired cats agree.

–B.G.–

Claudio Zanoni
    BPL Member

@zachiator

that's what I thought…. Ok then… I'll try and see if I can find some aluminium can here… I'll try a pet food store tomorrow… gonna walk in with a scale under my arm (nerd alert….) I'll weigh the cans with food, deduct the food amount stated on the can and there I have the weight of the can… hope they have some aluminium…

thanks for the quick reply!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Just carry a small magnet. If it sticks to the can, it's steel. If not, prob. alum.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Some US cans are steel and some are AL. It seem most of the smaller ones (3 oz) are AL. Other cans that work well are potted meat (ie, SPAM). Perhaps you have that delicacy over there? :)

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

There are Al cat food cans in Denmark, they are 5.5 cm diameter and about 2.6cm high. Brand is possibly Gourmet Gold but I do not have the label at the moment.

C King

@rimmini

Leaving my supercats in a wet bowl in my cookset resulted in corrosion. Thus… at least the cans I used were steel.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Yes, the cat food cans are the cheapest source, but there are other foods available in small aluminum cans. Some of them are the same diameter as the Fancy Feast, but are different heights. The magnet test is a good method.

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

i've had an aluminum supercat get crushed because the holes make them weak. steel ones actually are not that bad, the tradeoff is it takes longer to heat up.

Claudio Zanoni
    BPL Member

@zachiator

I shopped for some cat food and found one I could use. Built a stove and it weighs 7g. Worked perfectly on a weekend trip with my evernew 0.9l pot. about 6min for 0.5l water and about 12min for the full pot. I loved this stove!

I threw out my white gas and canister stove when I came home. I won't ever use nothing else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools