Topic

JMT Permit Question…….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT Permit Question…….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I have a permit for this Summer to enter the JMT at North Lake and exit the Whitney Portal.

I'm considering going the other way instead, North Lake to Tuolumne Meadows.

Do the authorities care about the change in direction? Or is the permit mostly about where you hop on?

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

The permit is definitely issued for your entry into the park/wilderness.

Your permit would not allow (legal) access for entering The Whitney Zone from the Portal. I suppose if you happened to make it past Whitney, you could probably talk your way through a curious ranger's questions, but around Whitney they are pretty strict. We were asked a few times if we had a permit last year on the JMT, but never had to actually produce it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Dave, I am sure you can change your exit plans pretty easily. I would call the ranger station and see

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools