Topic

Point and shoot for around 100 Bucks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Point and shoot for around 100 Bucks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

I know next to nothing about camera's but my old digital died on my last backpacking trip and it was heavy and bulky. I am having a baby this summer which means I really need to replace the camera soon and I cannot spend alot. I would like a basic point and shoot for around a hundred bucks. I know this is not alot and doesn't give much for you to work with. I will list some of my preferences but am open to anything.

Size and weight are certainly an issue but for 100$ not the defining one.

Decent image

Video

Some optical zoom

AA? seems convenient but I am open to other ideas

Thanks
    Gerry

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Take a look at Canon. Their A-series cameras used to be synonymous with AA batteries, but now you have to double check.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

You could check Costco, we found an older Panasonic Z-series there for $119. Great camera, small and light, 25-300 equivalent zoom (that's very wide to long tele), and optical image stabilization. No AA batteries, though. And in Costco's case, "older camera" means maybe 9-12 months on the market…

For a trail camera I would require optical image stabilization (I.S., V.R., or O.I.S.), and a good wide angle lens ("30mm equivalent" or wider.) You can certainly get a great camera for $150-200, and with a little searching you should be able to find something closer to $100.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Canon Powershots models use two AAs. Try Best Buy.

A1100IS. Or A540 are examples. They are not just automatic either.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Some of the A series take 4 AAs so you can get lots of shots on a set. I personally have an A620 (and an A75 before that). While I wish it had a wider lens, I will replace it with a used one once this one dies because I like it so much. I'm highly disappointed Canon doesn't put the vari-angle LCD on more models. The A650IS has IS and longer zoom but is more than $100 on Ebay.

Most A series have decent video and sound but they're also known for a higher pitched noise in the audio. It's never bothered me. Mine can do 640×480 @ 30 fps.

Most Canons also let you do cool stuff with the CHDK hack if you want to extend the abilities of the stock camera. Shutter can go to 64 seconds for night shots. I do time lapses also with an intervalometer script also.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Thanks alot for all your advice. Between you guys and my other research I think I will be going with a cannon. A BPL'er PM'd me and offered a new Canon PowerShot SD980IS for 125$. Seems like a great deal and a great camera. Uses a proprietary battery but it's a good trade off for a better camera Ill just buy an extra. Thanks again.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Some of the A series take 4 AAs so you can get lots of shots on a set. I personally have an A620 (and an A75 before that). While I wish it had a wider lens, I will replace it with a used one once this one dies because I like it so much. I'm highly disappointed Canon doesn't put the vari-angle LCD on more models. The A650IS has IS and longer zoom but is more than $100 on Ebay.

Most A series have decent video and sound but they're also known for a higher pitched noise in the audio. It's never bothered me. Mine can do 640×480 @ 30 fps.

Most Canons also let you do cool stuff with the CHDK hack if you want to extend the abilities of the stock camera. Shutter can go to 64 seconds for night shots. I do time lapses also with an intervalometer script also.

I think the a650is was a pretty sweet camera, but it goes for much more than $100. There's a used one on ebay right now that's already been bid up to $280 with over 2 days left to go.

The a720is was also a great camera. My brother has one. With a set of AA Eneloop batteries I was able to take over 700 shots with barely a dent in the battery indicator. It has the CHDK hack, which I agree is very cool. I really ought to pick one of these up for myself. It's the camera I'd like to carry on hikes over any other camera I've seen.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools