Topic

Recipe ratios for steam muffin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Recipe ratios for steam muffin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I hope someone can help me with this. I want to combine Ova Easy, sausage crumbles, FD cheddar, maybe a few diced dehydrated potatoes, and Tabasco with 1/3C of Bisquick, for a tasty steam-baked breakfast muffin. Am I going to have to cook the Ova Easy first, or can I just add the powder to the mix? I've only tried this with MH FD eggs, which worked out great. But I'm not sure if the Ova Easy would cook properly when steamed for the usual 12-15 minutes. I also am not sure how much egg powder I should use–maybe a couple of teaspoons? I guess I could always just experiment, but there will be a lot of trial-and-error, and I don't think I could eat that many muffins. Has anyone tried this with Ova Easy—Sarah, Laurie, Dicentra, anybody?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Add it to the dry mix. Treat it like butter powder if that makes sense since you are using Bisquick. I'd say use 1-3 tsp – as much as you like without it getting too eggy! And yes, it will cook fine. I have done eggs by themselves in silicone cups steamed.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"but there will be a lot of trial-and-error, and I don't think I could eat that many muffins"

Gary,

After you eat the first few failed trials, go ahead and send me the ones when you've got it pretty much dialed in.

No no, don't thank me. I'm happy to help….

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And it is pretty hard to screw up Bisquick steamers as well….even the non-spectacular ones till taste great!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

So cool, Sarah. You've given me a good reason to make my first try happen tomorrow morning.

Oh, Doug. I have always loved your sense of humor, so wait till you get the muffin I'm going to send you. Your mom will cringe…

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I'd be apt to make it like a Frittata and put the egg sausage mix on the bottom and the biscuit mix on top and bake it that way. Then your egg won't get lost in the dough and it would cook better.

If I have time this weekend (I'm avoiding the woods because it is blackfly season- bleh) I'll try it in the backyard and give you some measurements.

In the meantime… you could easily add sausage crumbles to the Backcountry Veggie Frittata (I'd omit some of the veg to accommodate) and steam cook it. It wouldn't be the same as the muffin/biscuit idea, but still tasty. You might have to cut this in half if you are soloing (guess that depends on how big an eater you are too). Here is the recipe link… (scroll down because the first recipe in the article is for base or car camping).

Seattle Backpackers Magazine

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks, Laurie. I'll have to also play around with the frittata idea. I'll be watching for the report on your muffin ingredient ratios.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I'll base the serving size on my husband's appetite as he's pretty average (I think – lol).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools