Topic

Footwear for Cactus Country?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Footwear for Cactus Country?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

On an upcoming trip I'll be doing extensive cross-country through prickly-pear land.
    I know from personal experience (painful) that trail runners won't cut it.

I assume a solid leather boot is the way to go, but it has been a long time since I've looked at those.

Recommendations?

Edit: And I do not want shoes with a waterproof membrane. Fine sand trickles in, fills the spaces as you walk, redefining the inside of the shoe with lumps and bumps that soon render the shoe un-wearable. (Keen said "To Bad. Not Our Problem.")

Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Trail runners with a titanium inner sole.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The sole isn't the issue.

It's the abundance of mesh just above the sole that is the problem. One miss-step can mean a lot of time picking out the major and minor spines so they don't work their way in. If they get below the first layer of mesh it is really hard to find them. But your feet Know they are there.

Not much fun.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I've only worn trail runners in the Chihuahuan desert and did fine, with much of it cross country. You have to watch your step. I have had a rare spine get through the mesh and one lechuguilla spine go through the bottom of my shoe where I felt it in my heel, but it had not penetrated the skin. Your legs will take much more of a beating (scratches) than your feet. If you don't like watching your step as one of my friends doesn't (always bleeding through pants by trips end), then boots would be your choice.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

John,
    Glad they work for you.
    They don't work for me.
    Been there, done that, don't want to go back.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How about some leather tennies?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I'd love some leather tennies –

Keen has something like that, but they have a "magic insole" and weight 15 ounces per shoe!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

http://www.zappos.com/reebok-lifestyle-classic-ace-white-navy

Reebok makes quite a few with leather uppers.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Rog –
    Five Ten it is. The "Guide".
    REI, on sale, free shipping.

Done.

Thanks All.

R S

@rps76

Nooooooooooooooooo. The soles are going to be gone after 50 miles. It's a thin, sticky (read not durable at all) dot rubber sole. I own a pair that I only use when it's a short approach or when I know I will be doing some technical scrambling. They also don't have very good cushioning at all. And wearing them in the desert, be prepared for some serious foot funk.

Go with the Boulder X's instead.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Greg,

I know you said NO trail runners… but perhaps you might want to reconsider. I did this about 3 years ago and it has worked out well. Here is some typical terrain for me:

DSC00589

DSC00593

DSC00608
    These shoes (Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra Trail Running Shoes) have been great. When I have get into a ton of lose sand, I sometimes wear XA Comp 4 GTX which keep the sand out with no other problems.

Other than that you might look at something like the Merril line, they have models with leather/mesh. I have no experience there.

DSC00318

For leather, I think Danner still makes the Mountain Light (right), and I have a pair that I wore for 20 years. Not light. Also, the best leather boot I have ever owned are Lowa Banff's (on the left). Gosh, digging up this picture makes me miss both those boots, but not the weight!!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nick, is that the Chihauhuan desert?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'd say no, and will take Mojave for $25.

Ron Burleson

@ronburleson

Locale: So Cal

I'm thinking Anza Borrego. Where is it Nick?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Nick,
    Glad they work for you.

Been there—
    —Soloman XA Pros
    —New Balance 875 – 16 days in Southeast Utah – ouch, ouch, sh*t, ouch, etc…
    They don't work for me. Done that, don't want to go back.

And based on RS's somewhat distressed call, Boulder Xs will be added to the mix.

Any other "nearly all leather" suggestions?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I had a pair of these Merrells a few years ago. Looks like you might be able to find some on ebay (searching Merrell traveler). I think they did have goretex, but they were very comfortable, required no break in and would be better than a boot if you can find them. http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/men-merrell-chameleon-wrap-traveler-gore-tex-xcr-shoe-reviews

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Yucca, cholla, ocotillo, sage… That wierd "plated" rock… I'm guessing Nick was tromping somewhere in the Palm Canyon area.
    Sorry for the thread hijack.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Not to hijack the thread. I will post a trip report.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools