Topic

Wahtum Lake Area / Columbia River Gorge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Wahtum Lake Area / Columbia River Gorge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Locale: PNW

Tried out some of my new gear on a overnighter this weekend. Enjoy the pics.
    Herman Creek Bridge
    Herman Creek Bride.
    On the PCT above Herman Creek.
    On the PCT above Herman Creek.
    Tomlike Mountain.
    Tomlike Mountain
    Mt. St. Helens
    Mt. St. Helens.
    Sun coming through the trees on the Benson Plateau.
    Sun coming through the trees on the Benson Plateau.
    Mt. Hood with Mt. Chinidere (left behind clouds)
    Mt. Hood with Mt. Chinidere (left behind clouds)
    Couds rolling over the whole ridgeline.
    Couds rolling over the whole ridgeline.
    Camp in my new Gatewood cape.
    Camp in my new Gatewood cape.
    Me.
    Me.

I know it is not the Sierras but, at least, it is close by! – Johnathan

Mark Shands

@i17858

Locale: Pacific Northwest

WOW those are some KILLER photos, love seeing that snow up on Benson Plateau. I found waist deep snow up there on June 12th one year!!!

Mark In The Dark
    Portland
    [email protected]

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How very brave of you this time of year! I just picked up a Gatewood Cape, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet for an overnighter.

I would be interested in a basic gear list you took. Specificallly, I am interested if the cape was your sole rainwear or if you brough a rain jacket. Also, is that an REI wp/b bivy? How did that perform?

I recently moved to Portland, and am constantly meddling with my gear list. Do I bring the gatewood and a wp/b bivy, or will a pertex bivy be sufficient? Or should I splurge with my Golite Hex 3 and purchase an ID eVent rain jacket?

I'm tempted to stay light with the cape, but when Ryan Jordan did the Wonderland Trail in November he brought an ID eVent Jacket and a full-on tent–the Black Diamond eVent!

I'm still waiting for BPL's article on wet weather hiking that was due this past Spring…

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I would also be interested in the gear list, so ditto. Including the camera ID.

We live in the lower Cascades, Mt. Lassen, Columbia River is incredible, the gorge(s) is/are insane.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Very nice! I don't get down to the Gorge often enough as it is such a long drive. Love it there though in off season :-)
    Btw, where is shot 1# taken?

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

My gear list was:
    Granite Gear Virga
    Gatewood Cape w/6 Titanium Stakes and Equinox 2.5oz Chaps
    REI Minimlaist Bivy (Long)
    T.N.F Propel Sleeping Bag (COLD!, my 40' Atom is much warmer)
    1 3/4 Ridgerest + 3/4 Blue foam Mattress
    FlexAir Plus Pillow
    Home made beer can stove setup
    Couple Platty bottles
    Auqa Mira

The cape was indeed my sole raingear. I was a bit damp on the way back on day 2 due to constant downpour of rain for the last 4 hours of the trip. Also, the chaps are not breathable so that "helped" me get a bit damp as well. The Bivy performed better than expected! Not a drop of condensation was inside. Temperatures were in the low 30s. I should point out the 30+ gust MPH winds along the top of the plateau were still around 15 MPH gusts above Wahtum Lake, hence the bivy sack and the possible result of minimal condensation. It was my first trip with the cape and even in wind it was not hard to set up. I wear it with the harness still attached. To take down takes literally seconds as you stuff it into its own pocket. It deflected wind little and was quite stable with the gusts. I did cook in it as I left the hood open to vent (it was not snowing at the time) which to me was VERY welcome.

My base pack weight was 9.72 lbs. Ryan could have done it in 5 I bet ;)

If I can answer any more questions, please feel free to fire away. I am new at this posting so sorry if it sounds "mechanical" -Johnathan

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

Shot #1 was taking at the Herman Creek Bridge about a mile from the Herman Creek Campground (Work Center?) along the Columbia River Gorge.

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

The camera is an old Fujifilm A330 cheapy.

Johnathan White

@johnatha1

I also want to say thank you guys for the nice comments! I am so new to this site, I am not yet used to talking to people using the computer as a proxy. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Welcome!! I love seeing photos of areas I haven't had a chance to visit yet! I fell in love with Eagle Creek a couple years ago, but due to the 3-4 hour drive, I don't get down often that way. I'd love to do part of the PCT next summer in Oregon.

Patrick Miron

@pmiron

I like the differents colors of green on your second picture. Thank for sharing

Pat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools