Topic

Help me decide b/w Jam & Gorilla

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me decide b/w Jam & Gorilla

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

I got rid of my 7lb lunker pack and am ready to buy something lightweight. I've done a ton of research and have narrowed it down to the Jam ($90) and Gorilla ($145). Were the price the same I would probably go with the Gorilla to get the aluminum stay and save a few ounces, but I like the Dyneema on the Jam and the price differential would enable me to lighten up another piece of gear that I'm anxious to replace.

My ongoing internal debate isn't getting anywhere, so maybe you all can persuade me one way or another. I have to carry a bear cannister at times so that's part of the equation.

Thanks in advance for your $0.02.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Gorilla is smaller than the Jam. Closer to the Mariposa, in my opinion. And both my Gorilla and Mariposa are more comfortable than my Jam2. It is the one from a few years ago when they were still light.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I had the jam prior to the gorilla and for me the gorilla is much more supportive and comfortable. It feels like it molds to my back perfectly and its narrow profile helps you maintain a good center of balance on the trail. A very mobile pack.

IMO, even when you get down to between a 5-9 lb base weight, how the pack rides is very important. If the gorilla rides better, its worth the extra $. However, the only way to find out is to try them both on. You can return a GG pack within 30 days for a full refund as long as the pack is in new condition. I tested out like 3 different packs which are all highly recommended on these forums before settling on the gorilla. I probably payed about $30 extra, but I thought it was worth it to find the right pack for my body and for my hiking style.

Good luck!

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

TJ,

Just tried the Jam last weekend on a day hike with the back panel removed and a 3/4 ridgerest rolled, loaded to 24 pounds to simulate a week long trip, carried okay for 12 miles but I thought the shoulder straps were too narrow and the hip belt seemed to slide down alot. I need to give it more time (this weekends trip didn't work out), but I may go the ULA Ohm route instead. I do like the side pockets, back pocket, and hip belt pockets while on the trail though.

Like Serge said maybe try two or three packs, keep them clean, don't cut on them, then return what you don't like. You can get the Jam at REI, 20% off ends today.

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Thanks for your input, guys. Very helpful. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is the end of the Gorilla sale so I will have to decide. If anyone else wants to weigh in before then, please do.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

FYI, you can get the Jam on sale for $75 at some temporary Golite stores in the Denver area and in Boise, Id. I see you are in SE Idaho so Boise may be too much of a drive unless you will already be headed that way for anything. Golite Sales Event page here http://www.golite.com/salesevents/

Having said that, if it wasn't for the price difference I would probably have purchased the Gorilla for the lighter weight and more configurable options but honestly for my first frameless pack I am quite pleased with my 29oz Jam (2011 model).

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Tough to beat 75 bucks. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to get someone in Boise to hit that up for me.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a Gorilla, but the MLD Burn looks nice for when I'm carrying lighter loads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools