Topic

Downmat warmth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Downmat warmth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Wow – I've been useing a downmat these past two weekends and its amazing how warm it is – w/ a WM Apache @10C I'm waking up drenched in sweat in the mornings. It doesn't feel all that warm though just lying on the mat.
    Compared to my old ProLite4 3/4 the difference is striking. I was wondering what people did to counter the warmth on a downmat in summer? (I know its not UL – but for paddle trips the airmat is nice)

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

My DM7 is way too warm to use in the summer, but if you like the thickness then I recommended picking up something like a neoair instead.

On one summer car camping trip I tried sleeping on the downmat and even with no sleeping bag or quilt my back was sweating. Not fun. I ended up sleeping next to it instead.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

It doesn't feel to warm just lying on it – but somehow it just ends up being so warm with a sleeping bag.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I find my Downmat too warm to use in summer also, but less inflation will reduce the R value (and comfort).

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The Apache is a really warm sleeping bag… I'd bet its warmth helped counter heat loss experienced w/the Prolite. I've used a downmat in summer, no problem… but I don't use a winter (or shoulder season) sleeping bag, either. If you're happy w/the Apache, consider a Summerlite. Or shift the down in your Apache so you're not sleeping so hot w/it zipped up. Just don't insulate as much up top.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools