Topic

Los Padres National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Los Padres National Forest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I took a short overnight trip in the Los Padres National Forest a few weeks ago with my brother for some much needed dude time. Most of the trip was off-trail and included bushwhacking through dense folliage and along the riverbed. The river was flowing, most flowers were still blooming and the critters were everywhere. We accessed the trailhead from the 5 Freeway just north of Pyramid Lake. Here's a link to some pictures and a brief trip report Los Padres National Forest in Spring

toad

kevin smith

@divr6347

hey andy

nice trip report and photos that place looks really cool what trail head did you leave from and can you pm me the directions ??

im gathering info on local hikes in our area great to see you guys out for some fun in the las padres

hopefully we can meet up for a trip this summer in between your other section hikes you have going on

also very cool z packs cuban tarp is this yours?? that thing is bad ass

talk to you soon
    kevin

Jon Franklin

@junto01

Very nice report and pics! Is that piru creek? Did you guys hang a bear bag or take a canister?

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Hey Kevin, we took the Hungry Valley Road from the 5 to the end. The t/h is at the end of the road, a mile or so past the OHV area. There is easy access to the creek nearby the parking area, good for kids. The trail follows the creek back for miles and there is a large flat area w/ firepits and old oaks about 5 miles in, but it's worth going farther. It would be fun to get another hike together this summer. Possibly San Gorgonio in late June (weather/snow permitting). That green cuben tarp is from Joe at Zpacks, only 3.2 ozs, good for SUL.

Jon, you called it, that is Piru Creek. I tried to keep it a little vague to preserve the low impact nature of the spot but now the secret's out. We didn't see another person the entire time. We just hung our food, no bear canisters and it seemed cool. Great sandy beach type spots hidden along the creek in the spring, the water level will be getting too low soon.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Nice trip! I haven't made it up to that part of the Piru yet, but I like the desert-like environs. Probably getting too hot and dry now though! Great pics of the horned lizard too; his face makes him look like he's being squeezed a little bit!

I hiked the other end of Piru Creek earlier this winter, swimming/wading our way up through the Piru gorge to a very remote, old, abondoned camp. Could be a great So Cal opportunity for a packraft trip some winter or spring…

Anyway good to see the Los Padres getting more attention. I've got a few trips reports from various parts of the Los Padres from the last couple of weeks to get posted up here soon.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Hey Nick, that toad does look like he's being squeezed, but he was just chilling like that. Looking forward to your trip reports for Los Padres. It sounds like you may have hit some weather last weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools