Topic

Approx ounces of alcohol/liter or water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Approx ounces of alcohol/liter or water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I have a Fancy Feast stove. About how many fl. oz. of alcohol does it take to boil 1 liter in say, 40-60 degree weather? I'm thinking about 1.5 oz.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon)of alcohol to boil 1 pint of water on a good stove

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

Now I have to think………!!

Thanks,
    Al

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

al,

I think you are more or less correct with your assumption. I have found that boiling a litre at a time takes more fuel than the "standard" in colder temps. I did extensive test with my caldera cone and a 2 quart pot this winter and found that I could not effectively boil 6 cups at a time. I was able to boil 4 cups (a little more than your liter) but it took a very full stove with 1.5 oz fuel and warmer temps.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Just for reference, with a Caldera Cone I typically get a 1 liter boil with ~ 0.75 ounces(weight) of alcohol. (35° water and 40° air temps.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools