Topic

Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kupilka Classic Drinking Vessel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Why is this on BPL? They don't even have a volume (ml) listed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

7.1 fluid oz.
    2.99 oz. weight
    On sale at Campsaver $20.76
    Check the review at Hikinginfinland.com
    It does seem like a strange addition for the gear shop here, since they are readily available at other places, for less.
    It's also a unitasker. Which seems to go against the UL ethos.

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

Save the weight, the space, and the money….

NIX – Kupilka

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I really like the design of these, though I don't care for the mass production/plastic content…I feel like it's killing the traditional nature of this form. I suppose it's the best of both worlds…but a real handmade wood one can be had for nearly the same price (or carve one yourself). I'm a potter; I just finished making a batch of ceramic ones.

It certainly does go against the UL mindset, but personally, I could care less. Whatever happened to style, to handmade goods, to enjoying a good cup of coffee, not in some old soda can, but in your favorite mug?

I'm an artist; this mindset is very important to me in life in general, yet I feel like I've let it slip away simply for the sake of weight when on the trail.

I've been bringing this sort of gear back into my kit. Ultralight for ultralight's sake alone is getting pretty pointless unless dictated by speed/mileage concerns; for a few more ounces or pounds, quality items that are simply carried to be enjoyed can be had. I've got a week long, lower mileage trip coming up in a month with a good friend; I'll be carrying a handmade ceramic mug, a bamboo shakuhachi, a folding wooden chess set, bamboo place mat, sketchbook and pencils, and a cocktail flag for the tent (a tradition that should really be spread from sailing to the rest of the world!). All that one use, heavy stuff, needless…the horror!

But sometimes it's the little things…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Another excellent post Craig! +1 on getting a wood one.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I agree, it is not UL, but I love mine. (Although, my entire kit is not quite "UL" either though, bur rather really light weight.) I do agree that they are probably not for everyone, but I enjoy having a cup to drink from when I take off rather than drinking from an oversized mug/undersized cook pot. Plus, I like the way it fits in my hand when I am drinking from it as well as the conversations it strikes up.

http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/cups-mugs/kupilka-21-cup/

I wouldn't mind having a real one either though, but I don't see myself actually making one, and the real ones that I have found are quite expensive…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

It's a slick little cup, works brilliantly, and has class- mine will be joining me this next week in the Pecos Wilderness and will serve as the vessel from which I joyfully sip my coffee. Volume is low, but just right.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7569218/kuksa-ancient-lapland-finland-drinking

I am thinking about picking up a Kupilka though…They've gotta be pretty indestructible.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

I do remember coming across these on ecrater, thanks. I was looking at these too:

http://www.handmadeofwood.com/home

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

This I guess is supposed to be like a Swedish kausa, but to me it seems something got lost in translation.

As others have pointed out the real thing is hand carved out of wood. And no, it is not for drinking your morning coffee, just for water. It's distinctive shape is that of a ladle so that you can easily scoop water out of the streams. The hole carved in the handle is so that you can attach it with a piece of string to your pack or your trouser belt.
    Think of the kausa is the Scandinavian version of a Sierra cup.

In Sweden they make regular plastic versions for hikers and backpackers who still use them as they were designed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

I can understand the appreciation of an object as art. Holding, and using an object that was made with care from an expert craftsmen, with precision and materials of the best quality, is something very special. But in my opinion the Kupilka is far from art. To me it is a mass produced imitation of art, marketed as if it were something unique.

I imagine these are machine maid out of a mass of company stock, no different then a Ti mug from other companies. I imagine it's only a matter of time before they are available at most REI.

But that's just the way I see it. Art is subjective after all…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I don't think anyone was saying that the Kupilkas are art. The wood ones yes. These are definitely mass produced.

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

I wasn't saying that anyone called the Kupilka art. I was just stating my opinion of the Kupilka as art, since the idea of appreciation of quality made objects was brought up.

To me, the Kupilka is nether an object of art, or a good choice for its intended use. So it would have little value to me….Especially for its cost.

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

It looks cool.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

As I own both a Kupilka 21 and a wooden Kuksa (and they're from Finland, NOT from Sweden) I will try to shed some light on this.

The wooden kuksas which most people buy are as mass produced as the Kupilka 21, not handmade of gnarly birch but made in a factory of lower quality wood. A good, real handmade kuksa costs 50+ € – or you make it yourself, which will at least include a trip to Lapland with a saw and axe to find the right gnarly birch piece you need to start carving.

The (low-quality) wooden kuksas also tend to develop cracks when being in a wet environment for an extended period of time and not being dried regularly, as well as collecting the tastes and smells of the beverages they were enjoyed with – which is one of their allures, though from a hygienic standpoint might be a minus for some. Talking about beverages to enjoy from your kuksa, they are made for any beverage that takes your fancy – usually they are baptized for their first drink with a good cognac or similar followed by a coffee.

The Kupilka 21 then combines for me the aesthetics and advantages of a wooden kuksa with the advantages of being partly made of plastic – more hygienic, lighter, cheaper than a mass produced wooden kuksa and it doesn't crack in a wet environment. It is also nicer than the vast majority of mass produced wooden kuksas.

All in all, if you have the disposable income to either travel to Lapland to find your own gnarly birch piece or buy a real handmade kuksa go for it. Those with less disposable income will find the Kupilka 21 a great alternative.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yikes. $33.33 shipped from BPL. Slightly cheaper if you are a member.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

This father of six with two cars over 120,000 miles got one …. Just to hold my coffee. I've done the trapper mug sip, the lip burn, the imported foam throwaway cup, the transfer to plastic , etc…. I can easily justify 3 ounces to enjoy an experience while travelling. Truly luxury, in terms of necessity but the enjoyment quota can't be underestimated. +1 to Craig's comments… I think I'll just forgo that slice of pizza before the next trip and call it king's X.

Happy trails!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

That is what I paid for mine when I got it, except at that time it was not available for purchase in the States, so I bought it straight from Kupilka and it was shipped from Finland. And while it was not extremely difficult to buy, it was not nearly as easy as buying it from a company in the States. However, I have been pleased with it since.

(It's hard to tell but I am holding my Kupilka in my avatar pic.)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I'm going to have to attend a meeting. Hi, I'm a Kupilkaholic. It started when I saw this pretty picture of this Finn cup…

I have one coming that I ordered from BPL. Honestly, the only reason I bought it was because both Hendrik and Finland are so cool. I will now hang my head, ashamed and anxiously await my cup. I'm taking it on next bp trip just because I can.

I like what Craig said earlier. I love to drink tea in a good sized ceramic mug. I might take one with me on a future bp. Craig – do you make tea cup mugs?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You are not alone George. I have the 21 and the 55. Would like it if the cup was slightly larger though. But it's cool non the less.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I easily justify carrying my Kupilka 21 as my one luxury item. Some people carry pillows, some people carry rain pants, some people carry DSLRs. I carry none of these but I do carry a simple little cup to drink from the delightful streams of western Norway and to enjoy my precious morning caffeine fix.

From Spring Thunder

Not UL? Meh. In Scandinavia I rarely need to carry any water so often I don't carry any plastic water bottle or Platypus. Just my little cup. I drink as I go. 83g isn't a lot when it's your only water storage/drinking vessel.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I don't get it…it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal.

—M

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>>I don't get it…it's just an over priced single use, Stone Aged Yuppie European Sierra Cup? Big deal.

+1. I don't get it. It's a cup, right? A plastic cup? A $2 plastic cup with a $30 shape? I suppose the heart wants what it wants, but this goes in the "trendy wastes of money" file. Anyone who justifies it as more than that is trying to convince themselves.

And yes, I buy pointless stuff, too, just because I think it's cool. And I would hope y'all would call me on it.

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

I like this one:
    http://www.rei.com/product/401090/open-country-plastic-measuring-cup

Lighter, cheaper, and it can measure!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools