Topic

more warmth or less weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists more warmth or less weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

This is really my starter list. I've geared up a bit and have done some low elevation Southern California camping, but now I've been invited for a 3-day Mt. Whitney trip and told we'll be sleeping at about 11,000 feet. I think I hike warm and sleep warm, but I'd like to be warmer socializing in the evenings.

I was thinking about swapping my 10oz fleece for a down sweater, probably something in the 7oz (3 oz fill) range. Should I go heavier? I have no idea.

Note that this list below will not include items shared for the Whitney trip.

clothes worn (ounces):

long sleeve coolmax shirt (6.8)
    BassPro convertible pants (12)
    Injini Classic socks (1.4)
    Asics Trail runners (22)
    baseball cap (2.4)
    bandanna (1.1)
    whistle, knife, photon, lighter (2)

REI Peak UL hiking poles w/duct-tape (15)

gear carried (ounces):

ULA Circuit (39)
    Tarptent Moment (36)
    Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20F (26)
    Z-Lite full length pad (14)
    pack liner compactor bag (1)

fleece/padded gloves (3)
    Polartec Buff (2)
    bug net (1)
    DriDucks (10)
    mid-weight fleece (10)
    mid-weight wool-blend top (8.7)
    mid-weight wool-blend bottom (6.3)
    Ultramax sleeping socks (2.4)
    stuff sack (1)

Platypus 70oz with hose (3.2)
    Platypus 70oz spare/camp-water (2)

first aid kit with spare glasses (3)
    headlamp 3xAAA (2.6)
    map, compass (2)

cup, spoon (2)

plastic trowel (2)
    toothbrush (1)
    soap (1)
    Deet (1)
    sunblock (1)
    lip balm (0.3)

I guess that's 11 pounds 5 ounces listed, but I'll be carrying shared gear, see below.

(I have a Bare Boxer Contender, EV 600, Caldera Cone and SteriPen, but will be sharing a bigger bear box a couple Hiker-Pro filters, and a few JetBoils between the 5 of us. I'll be carrying some of that.)

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

What date will you be going up?

If your going soon, a down sweater will be nice around camp and if your party stays a while at the summit. You could be below 20 degrees at night and the summit could be the same low.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=hnx&smap=1&textField1=36.557&textField2=-118.275

Wait, WHAT?! Your going up in trail runners? Fine in summer but right now it's mountaineering conditions!!

So assuming your going in summer your fine. I would even cut back on the sleeping bag and think about a bivy/tarp. Get lighter socks, wear shorts, etc.

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

Like the op said, it depends on when you are going. If you are planning on going before Aug of this year,, then it really is a mountaineering situation. If you are going prime time Aug/Sep, your list looks good except for a few items:

You need some kind of parka/jacket in case it gets down below 25 during dinner or breakfast;
    Consider taking a ccf for additional insul – you may want to shoot for a +4 R value;
    Take some head gear;
    Think about a light day pack for the summit – it is 2 up and 2 back from trail crest. All you need is around 3-4l of water and some snacks.

John Jensen

@johnj

Thanks for the comments. I'm going August 2nd. I guess we don't know yet what that really means. Crazy year.

John Jensen

@johnj

Is a buff enough "hat" (with a Sun-Runner atop) for August?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Depends on your other gear. If you wear the driducks as a windshirt, the hood should cut the wind the 100 wt fleece of the buff should keep you warm. Also if you have another insulating layer with a hood you'll definitely be fine. If you're still concerned I would suggest the merino buff (it's doubly long so provides a lot of insulation but I haven't gotten to test mine in the cold yet) or the cyclone buff. The cyclone has gore windstopper and has kept my ears toasty on the Rim of the Grand Canyon in the dead of winter. Also kept my head warm on some frigid windy nights in the single digits in town without any hood or other head gear.

If you're looking for a good down jacket I would recommend the Montbell Down Inner with a Hood. It weights 9oz and will be considerably warmer than a 200wt fleece (feels about same as a 300 REI fleece I have…before putting on the hood). This piece will also fix any concerns about the warmth of your head gear.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools