Topic

Old loggers path campsites

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Old loggers path campsites

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Potter

@dustinp

Some friends and I are hiking the old loggers path in mid june and I have heard alot about the rock run campsite but I cant find any location on it can any one tell me what mile the campsite is at and is that clockwise or couter clockwise any help would be appreciated this is all our first backpacking trip and we want it to be memorable
    thanks
    Dustinp

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

I was there just last weekend. Pleasant Stream Road is closed. If you're coming in from the west Route 14, you'll have to walk about a mile to the trailhead. We did the trail CCW. It wasn't too bad. All of the campsite were pretty good, very overused though.(please consider packing out some trash) I don't specifically remember the campsite at Rock Run. There was plenty of water, your feet will get wet. Watch out for the rattle snakes!! They especially seem to like the rocky outcroppings. If you need more info just fire off an email to everready1937ATgmaildotcom.

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/oldloggerspath.htm

Al

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Please feel free to PM me as well if you'd like more info about the Old Loggers Path. I've hiked it three times so far – twice with "first timers" so it's a perfect loop for that.

Matt did a trip report just this week on the OLP – Look under new threads in the Trip Reports section if you didn't see it.

I can easily email you a trail guide that breaks the mileage down if you hike it counter-clockwise. Basically Rock Run (Matt has some great photos) will be around 6.7 miles in. My first trip we ate lunch there on the first day.

If you're planning to do the loop in two nights I'll strongly encourage you to hike it in a clockwise direction. That assumes you're able to get on the trail fairly early in the morning so that you can cover the 10 miles to your campsite along Pleasant Stream. Day two will be another 10 miles (did I mention that both days end with mile-long downhills?) to the campsites at Rock Run. That leaves you the 6.7 or so miles to your car on the third day.

One of the other big advantages of hiking it clockwise is that most people don't! When I did the loop last June we had both campsites to ourselves, but people we passed reported that there were 15+ people at Rock Run on Friday night. Not fun – especially if it can be avoided.

I'm also happy to send you waypoints and maps if you'd like them.

As Al mentioned, Pleasant Stream Road is still washed out. If you're coming in from Rte. 15 you'll need to go through Ralston and follow Rock Run Road to Yellow Dog Road and then come in off Ellenton Ridge Road to Masten. It's not bad but it will add a couple of minutes of driving time.

The other thing that's really appealing about taking first-timers on this loop is that it's basically bisected by Pleasant Stream Road. It gives people the sense that they can easily bail out if they need to because you're not that far from your car.

I love this trail – don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Dustin, he was a big help in planning our trip^^^

I can attest to the fact that you don't want camp at the Rock Run site on a weekend. When we got there on Friday night, there were a dozen people there. This was April when it was still pretty chilly. Now that it's nice, I expect it gets used more heavily. If I was planning another trip, I'd try to schedule my night at that site on a weekday.
    Even if you don't get that site though, there are other options for a great campsite close by.

Hope you have a great trip. I really enjoyed the loop and am sure I'll be back.

Dustin Potter

@dustinp

Thank all of u for all of the info. Any maps or guides u have would be helpfull as far as the traffic at the campsites we are starting the trip on the morning of monday june 13 it was easier to get them days off for my friends, so hopefully not to much traffic out there any one that wants to join is more than welcome just trying to have a good time. And again thanks for all the help any more suggestions post them or email me at [email protected]

Thanks all

Mark Halverstadt

@mashed17

Kevin, I was also wondering if you could send me some of that info on this trail. I'm new to the East Coast and I'm trying to gather a bunch of hikes for the summer season. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
    [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools