Topic

Lycra Mesh vs. Spandura

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lycra Mesh vs. Spandura

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Which type of material do you prefer for a front pocket?

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Lawson,

Spandura is pretty tough. OR uses it/or used it in their Flex-Tex Gaiters. It isn't super stretchy though. Granite Gear also uses it or somthing nearly identical on their side pockets and the stretch panels on their packs.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

The stuff I've seen on the web runs about 9 ounces per square yard. Kinda heavy. Is this the stuff you are considering?

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Osprey use Spandura on most of their pack stuff it pockets.
    Terry

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

It seems as if most pack pockets are infact Durastretch and not Spandura since they seem to stretch 4 way which seems to be a trait of Durastretch. It could be the material I have seen though. I figured it would be heavy as well but OWFINC sells a version that only weighs 5.6oz which is much lighter then most Lycra Mesh plus it has to be more durable..

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The lycra mesh that Quest sells is 5oz/yd and it's awesome. It's a fine mesh so is less likely to snag and it's super tough. I've used it for front and side pockets and it's been through lots of bushwacking without a single snag or hole.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools