Topic

Oregon 1-3 night backpacking options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Oregon 1-3 night backpacking options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Cheng

@chrischeng

I'm looking for some good 1-3 night backpacking options in Oregon. My girlfriend and I were planning a trip to Grand Teton for a backpacking trip, but the record snows have squashed that idea so I'm looking for some substitute backpacking trips around Oregon in the next month or two.

I've looked at a few such as the Mckenzie River Trail, Rogue Trail, and the Three Sisters loop and love any comments anyone here has about them. I'd like to do the Three Sisters loop because it's right near Bend, but it's probably too snowy.

Any thoughts?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

We've had the same record snows out here! It's still snowing above 5,000-6,000 feet. The entire West (except New Mexico, which is having a horrible drought) is in the same boat or, rather, snowdrift.

The Rogue River is open now, as is the McKenzie, although I've heard there's still snow around Clear Lake. However, don't plan to do the Three Sisters loop until at least August, maybe not until late August! For the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood (closed at one point), wait until September.

Check conditions on http://www.portlandhikers.org

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

What Mary said

Or in Washington you could hike along the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

or Chris just did a trip report of Enchanted Valley in Olympics

Chris Cheng

@chrischeng

Thanks for the input – I'll take a look at the Portland Hikers forum. I noticed the record snows too here in Bend, but I came from Hawaii last year so I never really thought of it as more snow that usual.

I just found a link over at Portland hikers asking basically the same question I had, maybe it'll be useful for anyone else reading this.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7826&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools