Topic

Fill Weight Marmot Baffin Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fill Weight Marmot Baffin Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Douglas

@glenn1025

Does anyone know the fill weight of a Marmot Baffin Jacket. I have checked their website and drawn a blank.

I currently am using a Patagonia Nanopuff pullover with 60g/m2 and want something a bit warmer.

I am wondering does the Marmot Baffin use 100g primaloft sport or 60g.

Anyone own both and can compare?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

The Baffin appears to be using something other than Primaloft according to Marmot's site; Thermal R Eco. This is the only description of the material I could find:

Thermal R is Marmot's proprietary family of polyester insulations specifically engineered to meet various needs from sleeping bags, to garments to gloves. Mid loft, excellent warmth to weight, resilient loft, and durable.

I find my Nano pullover good down to freezing while stationary although I need gloves, hat and Capilene lightweight top.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

at primaloft.com they describe a product called PrimaLoft ECO

made of post consumer recycled materials – soda bottles

they don't specify performance numbers

maybe that's what Marmot Thermal R ECO is

Glenn Douglas

@glenn1025

That would explain it. The Eco part. It says on their website

When you need a lot of warmth but not a lot of weight, this jacket features Marmot’s highly effective and durable Primaloft® insulation sewn into ultra light 15 Denier fabric to create an extremely warm and comfortable mid or outer layer for winter adventures. The Baffin Jacket also boasts hassle-free elastic cuffs, a Napoleon zippered chest pocket, and reflective logos.

Must be that primaloft eco soda bottle stuff.

I am hiking and climbing in Bolivia at the moment. I am currently using a nanopuff and a PHD yukon pullover. Its a superwarm and flexible combo however I would like to use only one jacket as I have been "wearing" my sleeping bag at night in the tent.

The down jacket is too warm when moving and the pullover a little chilly when the temps drop below zero.

I am looking for a 100gsm jacket that would hopefully do both and save on total weight.

I wish manufacturers would state fill weights.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools