Topic

Carrying a CCF pad…making it manageable

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Carrying a CCF pad…making it manageable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

We're taking our 15yo daughter out this weekend…her first backpacking trip. She's got a cheapie blue CCF pad. She's going to use a small pack we have sitting around and so doesn't have a bunch of room for this thing, even after we cut it down to her size.

I know we can roll it up and tie it to the back of her pack. But are there other options? What do you guys do to carry these things without being bulky and awkward? I remember reading somewhere about cutting it in pieces and making hinges so it's like a Z-rest. What would you use for that? And would that help make it less bulky? What works best for carrying it inside the pack?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hinging the pad: I did this for one of my kids, after reading about it here. First, trimmed the pad to equivalent of 3/4 length for her height, rounding corners and tapering like a Prolite. Then cut crosswise into three pieces, and taped back together with 2" clear packing tape, so that the two cuts would hinge on opposite sides and the whole thing would fold like a "z." Taped both sides of the hinge, 'tho of course, one side had to be taped with the pad folded. Worked fine–certainly durable enough for a few days, and prob. a lot longer.

I think the folded pad measured about 20" X 12" X 1.5" made out of 1/2" CCF. Packed against the back of the pack, so it makes a bit of a frame. I don't know if this is any more compact than the "burrito" method lots of people use for CCF.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I believe Ray Jardine has something about making a ccf pad fold up by sectioning and taping it back together.
    I have a Gossamer Gear torso pad which is scored through about half its depth and folds well along the cuts. I haven't had mine very long but reviews are good as to longevity. I think this would work with the blue foam pad for at least a few trips.

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Just do the following for a manageable pad.

1. Cut the pad to the desired length and shape or leave as standard.

2. Measure the length and divide into equal sections or decide what width you need to fit into your pack.

3. Mark lines across the width of your pad at the determined section length. Alternate sides of the pad for each line, i.e. mark line, flip over pad, mark line, flip over pad, etc.

4. Using a straight edge and box cutter score along each section line but do not cut all the way through, just slightly over half of the depth.

5. Reinforce the opposite side to each cut with a strip of duct tape or suitable substitute. To add further reinforcement run a squiggly bead of super glue along the pad where the duct tape will go.

6. Fold up concertina or 'Z' style and enjoy!

Hope that helps!

Ginger Allman

@gindavall

Locale: Ozarks

Excellent, guys. Thank you so much! Now if it will just stop raining and spewing tornadoes in the Ozarks, we'll have a great time this weekend. The latest is rain Fri night. Doesn't bother us old folks but I suspect the blonde teenager is going to freak if a big bad storm comes upon her little tent!

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

One additional suggestion to what has been written above. Flat sections of pad hinge easily when folded against each other. A problem comes up when you try and fold shaped sections against each other. Rather than tape the sections together, I have used 2 inch velcro to bridge the gap between pad sections. I stuck 1 inch wide sections of adhesive loop velcro (about 2 inch long each)to the pad. I then had 2 inch wide by 2 inch long (non-adhesive) hook velcro to connect them. This gives you the option of using a single section as a sit pad. This way, you avoid the bulk trapped in the hinge and can "stagger" the sections so that their undulations nest compactly when carried if using a ccf like the nightlight pad. Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools