Topic

4 season neoair available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 4 season neoair available

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

I just got an email from backwoods letting me order the new all season neoair. You guys should xheck it out. It is exclusive to them till july 4th

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Can you provide a link?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT
    Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I don't see it on the backwoods site

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vv_dJ0MVFU

Looks goooooood.

As a matter of interest what would be its rival in r value and weight?

k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

Mountaingear.com has them on their website with an expected ship date of 5/29 (5/30 once you add it to your cart).

David Ure

@familyguy

No insulation, no closed sell foam and an R-value of 4.9?

I will need BPL to review before I change my feeling that this is a bit of snake oil.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I can believe it.

The current NeoAir achieves its R-value without any traditional insulation or foam.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities to just do more of it.

David Ure

@familyguy

Well, I believe the current NeoAir to be overrated with respect to R-value so that may be my issue.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

That might be OK for base camping. But at 18oz or more it is by no means an ultralight pad.

Doug Reeves
    Spectator

@strawman

Locale: God's Country

James, what pad do you use for winter sleeping that is lighter than 18oz? If it's truly R 4.9, that's pretty darn light (IMO).

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

DownMat 7 S
    Size: 163x52x7 cm / 64x20x2.8“
    Weight: 780 g / 27.5 oz
    Packed: 23×16 cm / 9×6“
    Fill Weight**: 150 g / 5.3 oz
    Temperature: -24°C / -11°F
    R-value: 5.9

Would be the closest?

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Well, I believe the current NeoAir to be overrated with respect to R-value so that may be my issue.

I would agree with that. Using mine near freezing in a WM highlite gets a bit chilly – I can feel it radiating out through my back. Deflating helps a little. Substitute a cheap blue foam CCF and I could go to 25F with that same bag before getting cool.

Not sure how this new pad will stack up, but without real insulation I'm skeptical.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm always a bit amazed at the giddiness that sweeps the hiking community when a new Neoair is introduced.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Talk to Bender of Kooka Bay before you decide to buy a NeoAir. For similar price and weight, or maybe less, he'll make you an insulated air pad just the way you want it. Mine is in the mail! 60"x20"x3.5", Climashield Apex insulated to R5, 13 oz.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@Justin: The NeoAir's claimed R-value "corresponds" to near 40º. While I (and many others) have pushed them below, it's hard to criticize the NeoAir for getting cold when you might expect it to. When a 40º sleeping bag gets cold at 32º is that an overrated bag?

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Fair enough, Stephan.

However, a standard 3/8" blue foam pad is rated to R1.35 and keeps me warmer at colder temperatures than I've ever tested the Neoair. I would expect an R2.5 rated Neoair to perform better. In my experience, it does not – using the same bag anyway.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

+1 on Kookabay. There's a wait, but well worth it.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

when the BPL staff tested a regular neoair, its R value was higher than the claimed 2.5

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/thermarest_neoair_review.html

so i would think that if thermarest is claiming that it's new pad has an R value of 4.9, i think thats possible. they just need to limit air flow within the pad to increase the R value, thats how down works anyways…

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

That's fair, Justin.

I don't have a clue as to why, but some do quite well with the NeoAir but it doesn't do a thing for others.

I don't think this is all just in our heads.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools