Topic

Tarp: Finger on the trigger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp: Finger on the trigger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Hi all,

I was hoping you could give me the wisdom of your experiences concerning tarps. I'm tall at 6'3", and 210lb. I'm about to buy a Etowah 6×10 tarp at 9oz for $70 (cheap, adequate(?), don't think $100 more for a 7oz tarp is worth it for me). I will be using it with a bivy that I'm also going to buy soon.

I notice a lot of people seem to post about using tarp shelters that close on one end. I know some people use 2 person tarps by themselves.

I read reviews of people liking their setups, but haven't heard much of what PROBLEM they address that they used to have. I don't read "man that 6×10 wasn't enough for me, the wind blew the rain in way too much, even with a bivy!", or "I'm your size and I wish I'd have gotten the 8×10"!

So, before I commit to paying for a new piece of kit…. does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I just use an 8×10 with no bivy. With the extra coverage, I don't feel like I need the extra protection, inconvenience, or weight. Seems like I know more people going your route though. I am 6'4" btw.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

We have a tarp http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-silnylon-breakaway-tarp/ that I've used both ways (end sealed and not sealed). I think it's a matter of functionality and weather really. Fair weather, I'll use it up and not pitched to the ground, but in the rockies the weather can and will change quickly. For those cases, give it a 3 sided pitch to the ground, with low end to the wind. As for size and ounces, I would rather have comfortable coverage and pack a few ounces more. I also , use this sometimes for day treks when the weather is spotty and I expect to be above tree line for hours. Often times I'm with someone so having it sized for two works when you need to hunker down for awhile.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

A 6×10 tarp can be pitched with a closed end if needed.

I've pitched my MLD Monk(5×9) with 3 sides to the ground. Both ways, with the 9' side open and the 5' side open. The short end to the ground is good if it is cold out and you want to reduce breeze as much as possible, but it is a little difficult to get in and out of when pitched that way.

There are a lot of pitch options. A-frame and flying diamond are easy to pitch and are probably the most common and I find they work fine with the 5×9 and an ultralight bivy.

The reason 8×10 tarps are so popular is the roominess. You can pitch a larger tarp higher in the rain and have more headroom.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I'm very thankful for the videos and articles and will look when I get home.

The big tarp for 2p or more room thing was super helpful to hear. I'm starting to process it. Thanks!

The shelter question feels like a bit of a rabbit hole! Thanks for making it a bit less shallow

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The whole shelter question seems like is will always be a big rabbit hole. I think that more shelters get bought and sold on these forums than just about anything else.

I know a lot of people like the flexibility of flat tarps, and I do have an ID 5×8 siltarp that I take in the summer with a bivy, but take a look at shaped tarps, like the MLD Trailstar or a pyramid. It is true that you lose the multiple set-up options but I seem to only set up the flat tarp with a flying diamond or A-frame anyway. A shaped tarp just seems easier or quicker to set up, especially when the pole(s) go under the tarp. Maybe that's just me but it would be worth looking into some shaped tarps.

Of course, a flat tarp will be (probably) be cheaper.

Good luck choosing!

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

I use the silshelter with silshelter bug liner. I like being able to close the tarp so I feel more "secure" and less in the open when I sleep. I also like being able to add the bug liner in case they are mosquitoes in the area or I am going with my girfriend.

I use to have a 5×8 ID and it was just too small and it had no closure. At the end, you still want to slip comfortably.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools