Topic

MYOG Day Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Day Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hey everyone. Finished up my second pack the other day. Here it is.Side viewfront openFront ClosedHanging frontHanging SideBack View Closed

The angle of the platy makes it the platy look larger than it is.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

The basic little black pack! It goes anywhere and is always an attention getter.

Well done!

Are your shoulder straps all mesh except for the edges and webbing?

Is your material basic black XPAC fabric?

Party On,

Newton

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you! It is all xpac vx21. I got a good deal on it so decided to make it all out of it. The straps are 4 mm spacer mesh with xpac sandwiched in. I tried using solely the spacer mesh but it had too much stretch for my tastes, so I took them out and made new ones with xpac reinforcement. They are a little on the fat side though, so on future builds I will scale them down a bit.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The tied off cord loops you have for closing the top could be a problem. My first MYOG project was a day pack that had a cord loop and cord lock for closing the top. The loop of cord caught on a parking meter while I was running to catch a bus. This resulted in me being horizontal and 4' off the ground. I wasn't hurt because I landed perfectly flat. Needless to say I was very surprised by this. People on the bus were impressed.

My pack was completely destroyed, but I am proud to report that it was the fabric that ripped, not my seams (and this was a heavy cordura).

Maybe if you untie the cord, perhaps placing a knot in the two ends, it would be OK.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

"The tied off cord loops you have for closing the top could be a problem".

Just stuff the slack cord into the hole in the middle and then roll the collar down. Snap your buckle on the webbing and adjust the tension. Done! Safe, simple and secure.

Walter, very glad that you were not hurt!

Another possibility is use omni tape for the closure instead of a drawstring.

Party On,

Newton

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Nice little day pack very compressible with the cord compression system. I like the yellow cord reminds of the yellow Mountainsmith cords.
    Terry

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Thank you. It's the mountainfitter reflective glowire which is pretty cool stuff.

Bobby McDonald

@beardie

Nice pack, what is the volume? How did you stich the shoulder straps, they look like they are just attched to the top? But i have to say, again, nice little pack you got there. Well done.

Beardie

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I'd say it is around 20L in the main compartment, give or take a few based on the size of the fabric used minus seam allowances. I am not sure how much the mesh adds. The straps are stitched into a curve about an inch to an inch and a half below the extension collar and then reinforced. Here is a picture:
    Closeup
    Full view

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools