Topic

A pieced together pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear A pieced together pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Finished, well sort of, my first MYOG backpack. I had roughly a metre of material lying around in pieces so decided to put it to use. Also all the straps and buckles are from my collection of items I've taken off things as I've modified them. So I bought nothing specifically for this pack!

The material is sailcloth that I added to another order just to see what it was like. My wife used some to make our 2 year old a paint smock and I've now used the rest. Anyways here's some pics.

Pack Front
    Pack Side
    Pack Back

It's meant to be an experiment pack so it's not my tidiest sewing and finish. Will wear it for a year or two to get an idea of what I really want in a personalized pack. Then I'll probably make another final version.

Thanks to Newton for the roll top closure explanation he posted. I really needed more material at the top to roll closed but like I said that's what this pack is meant for, to make sure I get it right next time.

Forgot to add that it weighs 10oz currently.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Rob,

A very well pieced together pack. ;-)

"…the roll top closure explanation…"

You're welcome. The information actually came from a collection of suggestions from other folks on BPL when I asked how everyone else does it. I simply posted how I did it and what I used to add to the sharing of ideas that I find so great about this forum. Yours is a good example of a well done roll top pack closure.

Your pack immediately reminded me of the MLD Newt pack. I like the addition of the side pockets hip belt padding and the sleeping pad pocket. I can tell that you like to keep things neat by the small elastic loops you put on the hip belt to control the slack.

What is the volume? I'm guessing a little above 1500 cubic inches or a little less than 25 litres.

What is the weight of your sailcloth per yard? I would guess that a good bit of your 10 oz weight comes from the padding in the straps and belt. What did you use for your padding?

"Will wear it for a year or two to get an idea of what I really want in a personalized pack. Then I'll probably make another final version".

Good luck on that one!;-)

My first soon led to the second and the third and so on and so on. You're addicted my friend and there is no cure. A year or two will probably be more like a month or two.

I've recently branched out into making or modifying packs for friends and family to scratch the itch.

Enjoy your pack. More importantly though enjoy your time with that two year old of yours. They grow up all too soon.;-)

Party On,

Newton

Rob Hubbard

@robwa10

Locale: England

Thanks for the compliments Newton.

>What is the volume?
    I don't have it on hand but from what I remember of the measurements I think it's around 18000 cubic inches or nearly 30L. My old backpack (which weighed over 2lbs) was a 35L and with the smaller, lighter load is usually big enough as I don't really do long trips right now.

>What is the weight of your sailcloth per yard? I would guess that a good bit of your 10 oz weight comes from the padding in the straps and belt. What did you use for your padding?
    The sailcloth was around 100 grams a square metre I think (translates roughly to 3oz a square yard I believe). I weighed the fabric after cutting most of the pieces out and it was 140 grams (5oz) though I think I had forgotten to cut out one of the pad pockets. So between 5-6oz fabric weight at the start.
    The padding is cut from a fitness mat I picked up months ago for £2. I could have used lighter padding but again it was on hand and not being used, but definitely weight savings to be made their next time.

>I can tell that you like to keep things neat by the small elastic loops you put on the hip belt to control the slack.
    I do like things tidy so I like simple gear. Minimal of fuss looks nice to me. Also, I will seam seal the pack so I was trying to limit seams. Though my lack of forward planning didn't help to much. I like my bags to be very waterproof.

>More importantly though enjoy your time with that two year old of yours. They grow up all too soon.;-)
    I already know how true that is! We had our second, a little girl, 6 weeks ago so now it's double the fun! My son loves being outside and loved the family camping trip last summer so the future looks bright for various hiking and camping related trips.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Rob,

"We had our second, a little girl, 6 weeks ago so now it's double the fun"!

My niece and nephew just had their second also. He is on active duty at this time and uses a molle style OD green pack for their little one's baby bag. ;-)

So let's make your next pack an ultralight panel loader baby bag with many, many pockets.;-)

BTW 10 ozs is a very respectable weight for an "…18000 cubic inch…" backpack! L O L

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools