Topic

Mummy bag -> quilt makers, what did you think?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mummy bag -> quilt makers, what did you think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

So I am debating converting my Marmot Arete 40deg down bag to a quilt to save weight.

I was wondering

A) Does this reduce the temperature rating, or is that only if you can't sit still and let air in?

B) What do people who have converted their bags think of the new product? Worth the effort?

C) How much of a pain is this to do with down?

D) Is there any way of figuring out how the inside baffling is laid out before cutting? Mine looks like all horizontal, but I hear that can be deceiving.

E) Which article/instruction guide did you find most helpful in doing this, so far I'm looking at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_mummy_to_arc_conversion.html?m=V1xW2ZcOozIXwjy8wIu1sw

Thanks guys/gals.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

This will only be a partial answer to your queries.

"Does this reduce the temperature rating, or is that only if you can't sit still and let air in"?

Once you lie down inside of your bag the insulation that you are lying down on is flattened and reduced in efficiency to effectively "0". That is why we use sleeping pads and refer to their R value.

If you let air in, yes you will let heat out. I use a quilt and you do have to adjust the position of the quilt if you roll over on your side. A properly sized and fitted quilt with the footbox cinched or sewn closed and the top snapped and cinched about the shoulders and neck will keep the edges of the quilt under your body.

"What do people who have converted their bags think of the new product"? "Worth the effort"?

I haven't converted a bag to a quilt. I have used bags and I have made and now use quilts. Yes, it was worth the effort. Yes, you will save weight. Yes, you will have to adjust your methods somewhat.

I have no experience with down or baffles. The article you reference is the best that I have seen on this forum for converting a bag into quilt.

Good luck with your decision and your project if you choose to move forward.

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools