Topic

Cutting and Measuring fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cutting and Measuring fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Any tips or tricks?

How do you measure out and cut a large piece of fabric, say for a quilt?
    tape the fabric corners to the floor, trace the design on with a meter stick, cut with scissors?

Thanks,
    Will

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just lay the fabric out flat and weight down the corners with a can of food. You want it to be pulled out, but not stretched.

I measure with tape measure. I lay out triangles which makes it square. Like if you want a rectangle, measure out two corners along one side, then locate the third corner by measuring the diagonal distance from one corner and the side distance from the other corner,…

After I've located the corners, I use a straightedge to mark the edges. I have an 8 foot straightedge intended for woodworking

William Cummings

@rcummings1

Locale: Colorado

I lay it out flat on the painted basement floor and then smooth it out. I use masking tape along the edges and gently put enough tension on it to remove wrinkles but not stretch it. I use Jerry's method of squaring, measuring the diagonal for the 3rd corner then check the diagonal on the other corner. I use a drywall marker for laying out long lines and a tape measure. Measure twice, cut once using dressmaking scissors. Practice cutting with the scissors on scrap so you don't get the jagged chopped edges. The trick is to not close the scissors completely before moving up to continue cutting.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

or hold scissors partially open and just push through the fabric – don't need up and down motion on the scissors

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't have a good hard work surface large enough for a big item like a tarp. So, I found a large piece of cardboard to serve. For critical measurements, I used pattern paper. For non-critical measurements, I just measured and marked.

–B.G.–

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Buy a cheap folding ping-pong table that doesn't have a sunken top (yet).
    Much easier on the knees.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> tape the fabric corners to the floor,
    Pin a pre-cut pattern to it all around the hemline, then cut it out.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools