Topic

tarp shelter for tall guys?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tarp shelter for tall guys?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So i've been looking at different tarp shelters specifically the SMD Wild Oasis, the tarptent contrail, and the integral designs silshelter. Anyways I'm not very familiar with any of these or other tarp type shelters in general. I'm 6'6" and around 230 pounds so fairly large build. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on shelters that would be large enough for me to fit comfortably. Am really open to any suggestions! Thanks!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Hi Karl,
    I'm 2" taller than you and have successfully used two of the tarp tents you mention. The SMD design is tight though, and the lack of a fastener on the ID doorway requires some care to prevent water ingress in windy weather.

I currently use a Golite Hut 1 which is plenty long. They are getting hard to find though, and the shangri la 1 which replaced it is a lot shorter from what I can gather.

I also have a GG 'The One' which is just long enough for me, but I keep my WPB jacket over my feet to stop the footbox of my quilt catching condensation.

Happy hunting.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 is made for us taller folks and is a nice option with a lot more room than others:

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Home.html

Six Moon Designs offers the Skyscape:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com

I too have the Contrail and find it adequate as long as I'm not on any kind of slope where I slide (near impossible), but it isn't nearly functionally tall.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

I'm 6'5" and do fine with the Tarptent Rainbow.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I second the rainbow and am 6'5"

I have a contrail but agree it's tight

I did try the so long at kick off and that would be my choice if i had to buy a new one

Karl Myers
    Spectator

@kmyers1234

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think I've narrowed it to the So Long and the rainbow. Happy Trails!
    -Karl

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Hi Karl,

I'm in the same spot. I can't seem to find what you're referring to by So Long, and by Rainbow. Mind posting some links?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Thank you Anna!

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

the rainbow can be free standing with your trekking poles and I dont believe any of the others you listed can. Although its the heavier of the options as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools