Topic

Pinon/Bristlecone Katabatic Bivy fits 2.5″ Pad and WM Antelope?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pinon/Bristlecone Katabatic Bivy fits 2.5″ Pad and WM Antelope?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

Owners of Katabatic bivys, how do you like the sleeping bad attachment system?

Also, does any know if a regular width, regular length, Pinon or Bristlecone Bivy will fit a 2.5" pad (UL Synmat 7) and my WM Antelope (7" total down, less once the back down is compressed?). The website says it will fit a 2.5" and a 3 season bag, but maybe this is pushing it?

The thing is, my old Ptarmigan Bivy couldn't fit a 2.5" neoair and my WM antelope, and the specs are the same, but i've read that somehow the Katabatic bivies fit more, even though specs are similar.

Shane Reed
    BPL Member

@sreed24

Chuan,

I own the large Bristlecone and can confirm that a 72"x20x2.5" Kookabay mat will fit with almost 12 extra inches on the length, I'm pretty sure it would accommodate a wider pad as well. All I can say regarding your sleeping bag is this, I've used a Enlightened Equipment quilt (5 oz. Climashield) with a JRB quilt liner, with the pad inside and I (6' 170lbs) had plenty of room to toss and turn, I also primarily sleep on my side. The pad attachment system is pretty slick, I tied a prussic knot in the cord and cinch it tight on my pad, I've had no problems with the pad moving around. One can also attach their quilt to the pad straps to help prevent drafts. Hope this helps you make up your mind.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I own the Bristlecone Bivy Regular and use the Big Agnes IAC sleeping pad Regular 72" X 20" X 2.5" and have a Marmot Atom 40 degree down bag Regular 72" long. I have plenty of room in all directions with those.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

This won't help you, but my wide 6'6" Bristlecone should be arriving on Monday. I can give you feed back on this size, if your interested. One of the reasons I went with the wide,long bivy is so I could place my Neo-Air inside without having the bivy be too tight or constricting.
    Also,it gives me the option to use it with a heavier winter bag as well, and affords extra room inside for clothing and such. It is quite a bit heavier than the standard bivy though, close to 3-4oz more.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

My size regular Bristlecone fits a full length 2.5 inch exped mat and WM Versalight (6 inch total loft) with room to spare, even in a side sleeping position.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Well, I hope I didn't make the wrong choice going over-sized with my new Bristlecone bivy. I was going from a Ti-Goat bivy, that's a couple of years old and slightly small for me, in regards to width. I guess, I can always send it back, and get the regular? I know someone that recently got the large/wide Bristlecone, and he didn't seem to think it was overly large for him. He's 6' or 6'1" and I'm 5'11" and we're both medium build, 185-190lbs

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Ok, so I guess its confirmed that although the stated dimensions are the same, the Katabatic bivys are signicantly larger than Tigoat ones.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Chuan,

The Ti Goat bivy that I had was a few years old, and I don't know if their current bivy is the same size.
    All I can say is that when I placed my Neo-Air, inside the bivy, it was snug in the foot area and a little snug overall for me personally.
    Thus the reason I ordered a new bivy with the Bristlecone, in a wide, figured I might as well get the long, for the extra length too. (I'm 5'11")

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Yes, good point Michael, I just sold my tigoat bivy for that reason. I tested the tigoat with a 2.5" pad and my WM Antelope, it was fine at home, but on the trail I had problems…10500 feet up Mt Whitney!!. The bag was too small and I felt unable to move at all, extremely uncomfortable in the bivy in the open at Lower Boy Scout Lake. Hopefully the Katabatic Bivies have more room.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The TiGoat Raven bivy will fit the larger pads/bags. It's a great bivy.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Michael,

Are you keeping your old Tigoat bivy around, or looking for a new home for it?

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Yes, but from this thread even the regular size Pinon and Bristlecones will fit them too, and are cheaper (and include free shipping).

===============================
    The TiGoat Raven bivy will fit the larger pads/bags. It's a great bivy.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Sorry my Ti-Goat bivy (Black) has already sold. But, I do have an older model in gray, with the Silver reflective fabric bottom. Also have a old Epic model too, but I'm keeping it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools