Topic

Newbie Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Newbie Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I am brand spanking new to the ultralight philosophy. I'm excited about it, but I have a few questions regarding thru-hiking. I am doing the JMT in about two months, for reference/context.

How many pairs of underwear, shirts, and socks do you use? Long sleeves for summer or short sleeves?

Do you bring deodorant? How often do you wash under your arms? Wash in general?

What's your favorite UL item that you're proud to bring?

Thanks guys/gals.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I'll bite.

>1 pair underwear, worn. Can be rinsed at night while wearing long underwear bottoms. No more shirts than I can wear at one time (ie, maybe 1 SS, 1 LS, but no duplicates). 2 pairs of socks–1 worn, one drying. Choice of LS or SS is based on comfort and I may swap during the day.

>No deodorant–why bother? Washing: hands after toilet and before meals, always and carefully, with soap or sanitizer. Anything else: if there's a good lake or biggish stream, the weather's hot, and no problem with LNT, I might jump in because it feels good. NO SOAP, and would try to avoid contamination from DEET, sunscreen, etc.

>Favorite UL "item" to bring? The knowledge gleaned from this site and elsewhere + experience so that I can leave a lot of other things behind. (That's probably a lifelong work in progress). I also like my first MYOG alcohol stove–built three or four years ago, it's always worked perfectly, and it was the thing that introduced me to BPL-style thinking.

Good luck with your thru-hike. JMT is on my list for one-of-these-days.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

One pair of undewear worn.
    Two pairs of socks. One to hike in and one to sleep in
    Pair of shorts and a shortsleeve shirt to sleep in
    Long sleeve due to the sun (sun protection), and pants to hike in
    No deodorant…no one can smell ya
    use sanitizer before eating and after going to the bathroom
    lakes and streams offer a good refresher for the body. Jump right in!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"No deodorant…no one can smell ya"

According to one theory, if you smell natural, then mosquitoes won't find you as much as if you wear perfume

and other critters

Jason Sizemore

@sizemj

Locale: Bluegrass

Man I wish the smell thing did work with skeeters. But they find you by CO2. http://www.howstuffworks.com/mosquito.htm

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Thanks for your suggestions!

Also, science to the rescue! I love it.

And do you guys bring a towel? I've heard "just use a bandana", but this seems like what you guys wash with, so do ya'all just air dry?

Jason Sizemore

@sizemj

Locale: Bluegrass

I carry two bandanas. One is a hat/sweat band, and the other I keep tied to my pack strap in hot weather to wipe sweat off my face. They dry in about 30 minutes in 80 weather. If it is winter time I just carry one. Even in winter a little sun and they will be dry. They are a very versatile item. I find that they may not be as absorbent as a pack tile but dry better for me. YMMV

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

One pair of very light merino wool underwear, or commando in hot weather.

One short sleeved hiking shirt in summer, either 150-wt merino or light synthetic. (But in very sunny areas without tree cover, a long sleeve nylon "fishing" shirt. The JMT probably applies.) A long sleeved base layer shirt to put on at night. Unlike a lot of ULers, I like a change of dry clothes at night, so I bring a second pair of hiking shorts, too. But I sweat like nobody's business.

No deodorant. Wash every day, at least a bandana bath with water, sometimes with baby wipes (leave them out to dry before packing.) I bring several bandanas, sometimes a small pack towel instead of one bandana.

I'm not sure I'm "proud" of any of my gear, but as it's evolved over the last twenty years I will say I enjoy carrying most of it.

My favorite non-UL gear is my camera, a Panasonic GF1 with a couple of lenses. Man, I love that camera. It's the size of a large-ish point and shoot, but the image quality is equal to much larger and heavier cameras.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

A towel? Never. I will use my long-sleeved hiking shirt as a towel if I really need a full-on towel.

~ one pair of underwear worn
    ~ a tank top or short-sleeved shirt under a long-sleeved button-down shirt, both worn
    ~ a pair of socks worn and some sleeves cut off a fleece sweater for sleeping socks
    ~ no deodorant. No washing. Maybe I will wash my feet or legs with my bandana and maybe I will go swimming.
    ~ Favorite item is my bug refuge (tent or mosquito net tent). I absolutely must have full-body refuge from mosquitoes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools