Topic

Hiking at High Elevations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiking at High Elevations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Got another story?"

I think you've got him scraping the bottom of the barrel, Greg. The one about the Special Forces guy has been told at least once before. ;)

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

This is all fantastic information, thanks! We're doing one or two days on the 14'ers, maybe camping at 10-12k ft. As far as conditioning goes, I've hiked a good bit of the N. GA mountains and plan to seek out some steeper/higher terrain to train on as I have 4 months until the trip. I have easy access to GSMNP.

Important distinction here is that the highest mountain in GA is 4784ft. ;)

It seems the key here is "you won't know until you get there" and "pay attention to your body". Maybe a caffeine/aspirin stack in the first aid kit…

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I am in the same boat as you Stephen. I am going from Kentucky to Colorado in July with my 16 year old son to backpack and touch a few 14ers. I have done this before with other family members. I have had to turn back twice because the other became ill. We went again a couple days later and things went much better. But I never felt ill. I done backpack the high country of the Appalachia a bit more than my prior hiking partners. I don't know those short trips around 6,000 ft can make that much of a difference though. I might try a Smokies trip with my son a couple weeks before heading west.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Slow and Slower.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

+1 on what Tim wrote

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Learn the Swahili phrase: po le – po le

That means Slowly Slowly.

–B.G.–

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I take 4 tablets of NO2 in the AM, 45 mins. before eating and in (as I roll out of the dack). Like Viagara – but much milder – NO2 creates nitric oxide in your blood which dialates blood vessles,such as in the capillaries of your lungs' alveoli.

If I feel the need I'll take 4 more tabs 45 mins. after lunch. Tablet doasge is based on your weight. NO2 is ONLY the amino acid L-Arginine in a time-release tablet.

It helps me get a "second wind" faster and continue on at altiude with much less panting.

Four of five days prior to going to altitude, and 3 days afterward, I take ginko biloba tablets or capsules. The Olympic Training Committeee tested it and found it allievated,but did not eliminate, headaches and neausea due to altitude.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Good advice on here so far, especially about staying hydrated. However, I do have one tidbit to add that has worked for me. I've hiked/climbed quite a few 13ers/14ers, traversed long ridgelines for several hours between peaks, and have done some ski descents as well.

I use a breathing strategy that has worked for me to alleviate symptoms. When I start to feel that familiar headache, I focus on deep breathing. When I reach the point of a full inhalation, I take a few quick extra breaths in (which puffs out my chest) to get a little more air into my lungs. I suppose it could be psychological, but it seems to work well for me.

A somewhat painful headache or light nasea is fine, but as others have mentioned, if you start noticing more severe headaches or nasuea, or disorientation, it's time to head back down. DO NOT STOP AND REST.

At these altitudes, you'll be fine, as long as you sleep relatively high (~7k-9k) for a couple nights, and take a few day hikes that gain elevation (~2-3k), before giving a 14er a shot. When you get up around 16-18k or higher, thats when you really have to be careful, and AMS becomes a real concern. Conversely, most can do 10k-12k with only feeling extra fatigue and being more out of breath than usual (i.e. no 'real' symptoms), and perhaps a minor headache.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools