Topic

Is it okay to make a hammock underquilt with Climashield Apex?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Is it okay to make a hammock underquilt with Climashield Apex?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

I bought a Hennesy Hammock at Christmas and have slept outside in it a few times. It definitely needs something underneath to keep it from being so cold. On the down underquilts I've seen, people have commented that they also need some type of water-resistant covering to keep them from getting wet.

So my question is if anyone has made a hammock underquilt out of a synthetic material like Climashield Apex? Does it provide enough warmth, and do so at a weight that's manageable?

For the shell material, would it be possible to use something like Momentum90 on the side that goes against the hammock, but use Silnylon as the outside material of the quilt to protect from rain? Since synthetic doesn't need to be baffled like down, wouldn't it be possible to only "quilt" sparingly to cut down on the amount of thread used?

I've never done this, and I'm fairly new to all the fabrics and materials you guys use, so any guidance is greatly appreciated.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't see why not, but I've never been all that concerned about getting my underquilt wet. I'm very protected from rain with my tarp. I've been in rain and snow, and have never gotten the UQ wet.

patrick agius

@streamline

I am in the same boat as you. I think I am going to use an uncoated silnylon for the hammock side and a coated for the outside layer. I am using two layers of 2.5 Climashield Apex, I figure in colder weather I could use a foam pad to help further insulate me and then the quilt can also be used in warmer spring temps.

I am interested to see what answers you get here.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Paul at arrowheadequipment.com sells many.

You won't have to quilt Climashield (unlike Primaloft).

Synthetics can be warm but are, for a given temp rating, bulkier than down. It will weigh more, but w/ light material, not a ton more than a down quilt.

I don't recommend sil or any other waterproof material on the outside, to limit condensation. That said, Tim (enlightened equipment) sells 'em w/ Cuben! Haven't heard complaints. If waterproofness is your concern, then get an adequate tarp – that should take care of it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools