Topic

Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Hi all,

I am looking for some tarp advice. I'm a big guy 6'3" and was wondering if there are any "this is the best in this price range" sort of suggestions. My last tarp was a tent (haha) so any advice would be super helpful for an inexperienced tall guy.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Etowah outfitters makes a 6×10 flat tarp that is reasonably priced at $69

Big enough for a bigger person, I think.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Are you planning on using a bivy with it?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Michael, I have a GG SpinnTwinn tarp. I am a little over 6'1 and it has tons of room. It is lightweight at 10oz (it really is a 2 person tarp) and has tons of coverage. The only caveat was that it is expensive

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

I'll be looking into those, thanks for the suggestions. Yes on using it with a bivy

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Michael, with the size of the GG SpinnTwinn, you would not have to use a bivy

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Do bivies help with windproofing? Sincere question and the only counter point I could think of vs. the spintwinn/no bivy idea. Thanks for helping a lad get a bit less green.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I think a bivy is needed for windproofness. Also, if you have no threat of rain but a wind blowing, it's nice to just plop down the bivy and not fiddle with the tarp. At 6.5 oz for the light ones, not going to break your back either.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Hey Ken if you're still out there, what are your experiences with just tarping it? I'm curious about that option. Do you feel the wind much? Also is it generally understood that you either get a 2p tarp + no bivy OR a 1p tarp + bivy?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you are that worried about using a tarp in the wind and getting cold and wet look at the Gossamer Gear spinn shelter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools