Topic

bear spray on a plane

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all
    Just had a quick question….wanted to know if you are allowed to bring bear spray on a plane if it is packed in your checked bags?

Thanks
    Dan

Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Bear spray is not inexpensive so I understand wanting to take it on the plane but you cannot even store it in your checked luggage. It is highly flammable so they do not allow it. Sorry about the 50 you will leave behind. I've been there!

Jason

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Thanks for the insight…
    I was gonna buy it today, which is why I asked….ill have to buy it when I get there I guess.

THANKS!

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Dan

There are a bunch of places in Juneau that sell bear spray.

Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Dan,

I tried it awhile back on my first trip to Alaska. Glad I could help. Enjoy your trip!

safe travels
    Jason

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

For what it's worth, it's illegal to carry bear spray inside any aircraft in the U.S., (because of it might blind the pilot for one thing!,) but it's often carried outside the cabin in small aircraft in Alaska. For example, it will often be carried in the floats of amphibious planes, or sometimes even taped outside the plane somewhere, like on a strut.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I saw one Alaskan bush plane that had an Army ammo can welded onto one of the struts. Anything dangerous like bear spray, a handgun, etc. was stored in the can.

–B.G.–

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools