Topic

Advice on Down jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice on Down jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

So I have some questions on down jackets. I don't have a lot of experience with them but down here in South America I've come across a number of knockoffs that are made in peru.

This may not make sense, but the down filled jacket seams go right through (i.e. where the seam is there is no insulation). Is this normal or do quality jackets have offset seams so that the down is distributed evenly and you don't loose heat at the seams?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

What you're referring to sounds like a sewn-thru design. It's normal practice for most jackets under say $300.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Down jackets that are sewn through are either cheaply made, or else they are intended for moderate-to-mild conditions. Quality down jackets that are intended for cold conditions are nearly always baffled.

–B.G.–

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

Wow and these things are all around $50 or so for a really high loft.

I might take another gander at them… Although I might have to take off the logos.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

if you wear a windshirt over your down, you shouldn't notice any heat loss from the seams. also, remember that when worn, the down might fill in around the seam depending on how you wear the jacket. regardless, although it is not as warm as a baffled jacket, the heat loss is minimal and can be mitigated with a wind shirt.

Paul Osborn

@bcoutdoors

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

heh.. "gander"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools