Topic

Rain jackets less than 8 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain jackets less than 8 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Very light, but does not seem like it would tear easily"

Hi Tony,

I would have to add a note of caution here. I opened an O2 Rainshield jacket up from shoulder to elbow when I grazed it lightly on a small broken branch. I was off trail at the time, so I guess that reinforces what you mentioned at the end of your post. However, many trails have overhanging branches, so let the prospective buyer take my experience into consideration, and make the purchase with eyes wide open. And keep them even wider open when hiking in those conditions.

Edited:

The jacket can easily be repaired with duct tape, so I would recommend any buyer carry it if they buy an O2 Rainshield jacket. Most do anyway, so probably not an issue.

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

I used my OR hydrogen for the first time this weekend and was pretty pleased. I bought mine half off at the local outfitter. My large weighs 6.6 oz. I rather enjoyed the single hood adjustment and hem adjustment. The fabric feels nice next to skin. Seems durable enough for my use. I don't like how the zipper is on the opposite side compared to all my other jackets but I got used to it. Two thumbs up from this guy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

<– another Helium user, my XL is 7.1 oz- I had to size up w/ mine, I know Eric didn't, but keep it in mind anyways

I've been happy w/ mine thus far :)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks like we'll have a review for ya'll come fall. I'll be spending a lot of time in the rain this summer, it would seem.

Felix Martin
    BPL Member

@chobostyle

The jacket in subject is 3-layer, too. I changed from Marmot Mica to Golite Malpais, because the Mica wasn't dry at shoulder and zipper zone after a bit rain. Since i own the Malpais there was no rain anymore :). So I still hope its waterproofness is better than a cotton shirt.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'll just add that we've had some serious failures since testing began, and in unexpected places.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools