Topic

Field Notes of a Family Man: How to Nurture Your Family and Your Backpacking Obsession

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Field Notes of a Family Man: How to Nurture Your Family and Your Backpacking Obsession

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I was a Network Security Engineer by trade. I made great money. I left that for a career in Ministry. I took a 66% cut in pay to start (while in training) and will likely make 33% less than my career equivalent for the rest of my life. The benefit package is amazing. I can bring my 4 month old daughter to work while her mom sleeps (my wife works overnight as a nurse). I must make it clear that this is working for me because I have a call of Ministry on my life. I know this won't work for everyone, nor would I recommend it for everyone. I talk about it at my blog for those interested. wn7ant dot com

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

I'll second the comment on "good behavior". Brought my 11 year old daughter, only way I could have swung the trip, and she totally enjoyed herself. Everyone was great. I think I have found my new hiking partner!

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

I can whole heartily agree with the author on getting your family involved. I had a planned trip with some friends this weekend and was feeling like I was getting away with something . The last few weekends have been busy with work and chores around the house. At the last minute I cancelled the trip with friends and planned a day hike to scout a new area to backpack in the future. I made alot of memories yesterday and the kids had a ball !! I am so glad I didn't go on my trip I would have regretted it. Getting the kids involved more will lead to more trips in the future.

Video day hike

YouTube video

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Tom: I love the backyard campout as a way to get away outdoors with young kids without going out of town.

When we had our landscaping redone I included an open hardscape space (crushed granite) shaped like a campsite in our front yard. (The landscape architect thought I was nuts. Maybe I am.) We now use the space to have front yard campfires, and make s'mores, etc. We live in a central location on a court, so having the space in the front yard has made campfire evenings inviting for neighbors as well. We get outdoor campfire time, plus a bit of local community wrapped together, without ever leaving home. It really adds to a weekend where other obligations prevent us going out of town to the wilderness.

Christopher Kuzmich

@obchristo2

Thanks Debbie!
    I have posted on that site occasionally pre-kid. More so at backpacker.com.

Been lurking the kid's forums on both.

Thanks again,
    Christo

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Sometimes I get those guilty feelings but then I just hike harder.nice read.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools