Topic

Looking for a LIGHT tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a LIGHT tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lex Windle

@lexalotacus

Hey everyone,
    I'm trying to find a good, SMALL, and LIGHT 2 person backpacking tent and wanted to get some feedback…
    I'm looking at the Kelty Salida 2, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything lighter and cheaper?
    Thanks!

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Does it need to be double wall? Does it need to be freestanding? That Kelty tent may be inexpensive, but it's by no means light (4.5lb listed weight). The Double Rainbow by Tarptent is about 2 pounds lighter, but it's a single wall tent and a fair bit more money.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Pyramid tents work pretty good. Lots of room. Maybe 1 pound plus stakes and pole. Mountain Laurel Design Duomid, for example.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

The Kelty Salida 2 is probably the best two-person, free-standing, double wall tent in its price range.

You can easily get it under 4 lbs, and for 2 people, that's not too shabby.

Unless you want to throw down an extra 250 to shave a 1.5 lbs and get the Fly Creek 3 (the 2 is pretty small), I don't see any other options.

Of course, there are the tarps, and etc., that most people here use.

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Roughly the same internal dimensions of the Kelty Salida, can be found in the same ballpark price range, and weighs less. http://www.campsaver.com/clip-flashlight-2-2-person-3-season Downsides – Vestibule is smaller and it is not freestanding.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Whatever tent you get, be sure the screen door is vertical, not with the bottom slanting outwards (as in the SD Clip Flashlight). Otherwise rain will come in when you unzip the door of the fly to go in and out, and you'll have to close the tent up tight even in a drizzle, resulting in considerable condensation.

I had far worse problems with condensation in my SD Clip Flashlight (moisture condensed on the fly and leaked back through the inner tent) than I have had in any single-wall tent! I gave mine away (to someone who had his tent stolen) because I didn't want to make anyone pay for such a poorly-designed (IMHO) tent. That tent did teach me a good lesson about tent design, though!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools