Topic

Lightest camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest camp shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Ok yea no camp shoes would be the lightest I know that but I have converted to backpacking in my five fingers and around camp during evening and morning my toes will go numb they get so cold Evan wearing a medium weight wool toe sock I want a super light camp shoe that will keep my sleep socks dry and clean and allows me to walk around camp I was thinking those tyvec booties with the silicon tread bottom would those work ? If not what else is there at preferably under 2 ounces a pair maybe 3 ounces at tops

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

I haven't personally used these but I was thinking about getting them. The Patagonia Advocate slip-ons. They are on sale here http://www.leftlanesports.com/Product.aspx?l=00010005017400000000&p=PTG01248 supposedly they weigh 4.6 ounces @ $26.95 not to bad Just an idea. Curious to know what others post up.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"The Patagonia Advocate slip-ons….supposedly they weigh 4.6 "

A pair of size 11 comes in at 10 ounces.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One of the confusing points about purchasing shoes is that they sometimes list the weight as per-shoe, sometimes as per-pair, and sometimes not at all.

–B.G.–

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I just remembered I have some seal skin socks laying around somewhere from northern tier those should work waterproof and warm

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Good call. They should make it a standard where if something comes as a pair you must list the weight as a pair and not individually.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

IF I bring camp shoes I bring my imitation Crocs. Size 11 they weigh 6oz. each. Super cheap, dry quickly, great for crossing streams, etc. Those Patagonias look nice, but for a couple extra ounces I'll take the Crocs. I'm always looking out for something lighter, but the Croc design is better than most others I've seen

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Another option are Native shoes. http://nativeshoes.com/products They are basically made of the same material as Crocs only they are in a different form factor. My wife's pair of the Millers weigh in at 11 ounces for women's Size 10.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

why not just wear VBL socks in your wet trail runners? less 2ozs. and they can be multiple use items

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I would but wearing a bag in a toe shoe feels to weird for me and I love the feel of the cold water on stream crossings

roberto nahue
    BPL Member

@carspidey

Locale: san fernando valley

how about making your own out of foam pad from walmart?

i did and they worked good enough… i lost them on a river crossing though :(

I was thinking of getting the ones they give you at a nail salon (they have them at the dollar store) and then gluing some blue foam to make it more resistant and put them higher so dirt won't get your socks dirty…

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

You know those shoe inserts you (hopefully) throw out that come with the shoe?

Make campshoes out of them:
    One Ounce Camp Shoes

I've seen some thru-hikers use them as town shoes, too! :)

They are fugly..but functional. Light and cheap, too!

Of course, the lightest campshoes are no shoes at all. :)

Tim Cleary

@hempstead90

Locale: On the AT somewhere, I hope

I made a pair out of CCF plus rubber bands. Free, and less than 1 oz.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Leaving them at home.

=)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I am looking for down Booties as well are the weights listed on goosefeet per shoe or per pair ?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

+2 for Goose Feet plus overshoes.

The Goose Feet weight is per pair!

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Paul, I thought this idea was great until I spent time making some to use on the JMT last summer.

Camp Shoes

They were so bad, that we just ended up burning them the first chance we got. They were terrible. Dirt, twigs, and pebbles would work their way in after a step or two and our feet (or socks) were filthy after a few minutes. We were much better off in camp with our shoes on with the laces untied.

We also used DirtyGirl gaiters that kept the insides of the shoes relatively clean, so wearing clean socks in the shoes in camp worked out well.

Now, using five finger shoes makes this a bit of a dilemma. And, yes, the Tyvek booties may work, over some thick socks, especially since your feet should be well accustomed to debris you may step on.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I agree 100% jenifer my socks would get filthy with those camp "shoes" the whole point of the camp shoes is to keep my sleeping socks clean and those ones cerntaintly wouldn't

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

"We were much better off in camp with our shoes on with the laces untied. "

…I agree! That's why I don't use camp shoes. ;)

Sorry they did not work for you, they seem to work for others…

So it goes. Good thing there are so many different ideas to choose fom!

albert barragan
    BPL Member

@comaone

Locale: PNW

Camp shoes
    This are my camp shoes, at first they were a little lighter with duct tape, but the tape would be replace every outing, so I added the cord as laces, works great at 1.5oz. No river fording on these I just use my trail shoes for that and once at camp I slip on night socks and these

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Whoa, lookin nice Albert!

Was the tape falling off? I have been using the sticky "good quality" duct tape and have had no problems with just one piece across the top.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

At 3 ounces a pr the Neoprene Slippers or 'CROC LINERS' look like a good solution. Still at 16 ounces or less a pr I will use X-talon 212 or bare 200's and loosen the laces. 2 ounces pr for extra dry socks and I am done.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

2 possibilities with the Goose Feet:
    –Get just the waterproof shells (they need to be seam-sealed) and wear over a pair of dry socks.
    –Get both booties and shells and forget the socks–definitely warmer.

However, it appears that the Goose Feet owner is gone until Aug. 20. IMHO, Goose Feet are well worth waiting for! The homemade alternatives above or a pair of Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes should last you until then. BTW, I used the Sprint Aquatics for camp shoes for several years before Goose Feet came along, and they worked just fine. Unless I scuffed around in the dirt, my sleeping socks stayed clean.

This thread has brought up an issue with the Five Fingers shoes that those interested in such shoes should consider–the problem of keeping feet warm and dry in camp!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools