Topic

Old School Rucksacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Old School Rucksacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

This probably isn't anything new to most of you, but I guess it just dawned on me, that with my kit so small and light now, I could easily use just about any old day pack or rucksack, for a couple of night trip, if I didn't need to haul too much water.

I know the weight thing means it's an extra pound or pound and a half and I'm just sort of kicking it around, but there are a lot of really cool rucksacks and daypacks on the market still and I've always liked the looks and toughness of them. You can toss them on the ground and don't have to worry about the fabric or net mesh ripping. I remember back in the early eighties, when I bough a Jansport Super Sack, so I could haul my skies in a pinch (the original ones were pretty well made). I always liked that pack and wished back then, that I could fit all my camping gear in one. Well, today, I could, but they quit making them and mine are all long gone.

I stumbled upon some old school rucksacks last night, researching packs. http://www.nextag.com/rucksacks/shop-html. I can't seem to find it now, but there was even on with sheep skin shoulder straps :).

I even packed up my old Camelback Mule with all my stuff and still had a little room for food. It just blows my mind how small and light gear has become. Most people wouldn't even know you were backpacking, these days.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

29$ … even wallymart cant beat that by much … should last you another 40+years

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442635487&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889521

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Yeah, Eric, it's hard to beat that deal. The only thing, is no side pockets. A guy could strap his skis/poles there though. I always liked the ski slot, behind the pocket, like on the original Jansport Super Sack. I think Kelty has something like that now, with detachable side pockets, but it looks a little fiddly.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

C'mon, for that authentic, old-time carrying experience, how about a Trapper Nelson? ;-).

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Trapper Nelson Posted 05/14/2011 16:36:31 MDT by Diane Pinkers (dipink)
    C'mon, for that authentic, old-time carrying experience, how about a Trapper Nelson? ;-).

Yeah, some people might like the frame, but I would prefer a frameless rucksack or panel loader, if I was going for a retro pack.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Kelty has a line of vintage bags I got one for $25 on sale.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I really like my Jandd Mountaineering Tozi Kletter it is 37 liters it weighs 27.2 oz and and made of 500d cordura and is bomb proof sells for $78.95.The pack most comfortable shoulder pads around that can be replaced by the user.

The Jandd packs are older designs made across the mexican border in Otay mesa by expert pack makers made to last. Jandd also makes side pockets, water bottle holders and other mid size pack designs that are panel loaders. My brother really likes his Mogen 35 liter panel loader. Jandd also has great sales twice a year for past customers
    Terry
    Tozi Kletterlink: http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FTK

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Check LL Bean too.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Terry, that's funny, I've seen Jandd stuff around, but never really checked them out. The Mogan Daypack looks like a copy of the original Jansport super sack, ski slots and all. The Tozi Kletter looks pretty cool too. Thanks for the heads up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools