Topic

Sipsey Wilderness Sub 2 pounds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sipsey Wilderness Sub 2 pounds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

Here is the proposed gear list for a 20 Mile, 24hour trip that I have planed for the end of may. I will be carrying my light, knife, whistle, and compass on a lanyard arounf my neck. Here is the link to my gear list. Input is welcomed! http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/823b11d86f2745a3cb97d65892a463f8.pdf

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

No pad!?

You're a stud!

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

If I would bring a pad it would be a 1/4" ccf pad so not too much of a differance without it.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Don't forget the bug juice.

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Last year at about the same time I din't have too big of a problem with the bugs. (but I will treat my clothes with some before I go.)
    Thanks
    Dustin

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You could probably pull that off in Sipsey in the Summertime, so long as it doesn't rain on you at night!

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Nice list and pack!

What night temps are you expecting?

Do you plan on sleeping on natural insulation/padding?

Will you be warm enough in that sleep system if you're soaking wet (without rain gear)?

I've found that many supposedly waterproof matches won't light when wet–test and consider a replacement or backup.

I'd get annoyed with all of that around my neck. I carry things like that in my pocket and attached to a lanyard, which is attached to a belt loop to prevent loss.

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Nice list and pack!
    -Thanks

What night temps are you expecting?
    -The weather channel is saying they will be in the 60s right now but I don't know.

Do you plan on sleeping on natural insulation/padding?
    -If it is cool then I might build a little bed for my self but I have found that I sleep fine without any insolation/padding between me and the ground.(It is GREAT to be young!)

Will you be warm enough in that sleep system if you're soaking wet (without rain gear)?
    – If the weather channel calls for rain when it is closer to the trip then I might add in my 5.5oz rain jacket.(it will still allow me to stay under 2 pounds)

I've found that many supposedly waterproof matches won't light when wet–test and consider a replacement or backup.
    -I waterproofed them myself and store them in a ziplock with my other small things (ie. repair kit/first aid kit)

I'd get annoyed with all of that around my neck. I carry things like that in my pocket and attached to a lanyard, which is attached to a belt loop to prevent loss.
    – I will be wearing running shorts (most likly) so I might carry them in my pocket but I don't like stuff in the pockets. And I usually don't mind wearing somethng around my neck. When I carry my knife that way I will sometimes tuck it into my shirt and that keeps it from being quite so annoying.

That for the consern for my survival!
    Dustin

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

That MYOG Tyvek pack sounds sweet! Can you post some pics?

Edited for spelling errors

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

I will post some pics to the MYOG forums.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

Not to be a downer on this thread, but is this really anything worth lauding? You're going to sleep outside on a warm dry night without map, compass, or any contingency gear, though you're going to be within a three-hour walk of the trailhead at all times (if it's a loop).

What's really exciting about SUL backpacking lists are how people manage to truly sacrifice nothing in the way of safety, shelter, and happiness, but are unburdened enough to cover truly large distances (20+ miles per day) for multiple days and see and experience places that others can't.

This just seems like an unsafe gamble that comes with a spreadsheet.

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

I under stand wear you are coming from BUT I do have a shelter and a bivy I am perfectly happy sleeping without a pad/sleeping quilt in warm weather. I will have a compass and will be hiking with two other people(a safety facter in its self). I might carry a map (which will add .3 of an once) but I have hiked there before so I fell comferable hiking there. I would love hike for longer but can't with the time I have right now. What I am thinking behind this trip is Glen van Peski hiked with a sub 3 pound pack and brought everything he needed so I could do the same thing but it turned out that I needed less (warmer temps.) so the only thing that I am leaveing at home is a warmer sleeping quilt. (hope that makes some sense)
    Dustin

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

I didn't perceive that Dustin was seeking to be "lauded" for anything. He shared his kit for a given trip – happens all the time on BPL! That's what we do.

I, for one, appreciate his sharing. It opens up the imagination and gets the wheels turning.

Dustin, if you're being safe and you're having fun, then there's not much more to say! Sounds like you're well prepared for an area that you're familiar with. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes.

Todd

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I don't see a problem- hard to get lost in Sipsey if you're familiar w/ it, and know what you're getting yourself into w/ such a gearlist (which OBV you do)

If you see an old man out there with a REI Half Dome and 2 Jetboil cups for himself tell him his son (me) says 'HI'. (hangs head in shame)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools