Topic

2 kids / 4 days / where ? Help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports 2 kids / 4 days / where ? Help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Ok, relative newbie here. Logged a dozen or so trips recently and really getting dialed in. I am looking to take my two girls, ages 8,9 out somewhere neat for a true backpacking trip . The parameters are: Within a days drive of southern california, with scenery, cool weather , preferably fishing and swimming also. Thinking Sierras but for some reason it's daunting. Tom recommended the Twin Lakes area and I am also really interested in a 3-4 night section of the tahoe rim trail if it's near lakes and easy to shuttle between (Even if a costly shuttle service is needed). They can each hike about 5-7 miles no gripes between spots and I want to relax and enjoy this not eat miles… Can you help me? If Twin lakes, what are the spots to hit on a 4 day trip? I'd like to hike and camp at a different spot each night. If you have experience here or can dial me in to the put in / take out point on the Tahoe Rim Trail I'd love to narrow this trip down so I can get some permits and assure a trip. It would be for the third week of August. Please let me know what you've done that's worked so I can share this new joy with them… It will be their 4th trip but first for multi nights. I can even squeeze in one more night if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Ed,
    I'm worthless when it comes to either of those locations. Just wanted to wish you and the kids an excellent trip wherever you end up going. Would love to see a TR when you return.

The only help I can offer is if you end up needing to stay closer, the Cottonwood lakes trailhead is 4-5hrs from LA, six miles in, as beautiful as anywhere I've been, and the fishing is really fun on golden trout. One caveat though, elevation 9-10k feet but in August it should be good.

I hike with my 3 kids too, whatever you end up doing, en-joy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools