Topic

Steripen users advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen users advise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Roger you are a brave man

and for a bloke from the land of Ozzzz
    have an unusually pale bronze.

I take it surfing isn't your sport?

David Ure

@familyguy

"Yes. People have been using the Steripen for quite some time without issue. I have the Opti and it hasn't let me down yet. One of my hiking buddies has used his for over 2 years without issue."

But with just as many reports of success, there are equal tales of failure. The technology (i.e. UV purification) may be proven, but the product has had some quality issues. A quick google search confirms this. Reminds me of the NeoAir.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Reminds me of the NeoAir."

The Steripen is rated to R 2.5. I don't think they're fudging those numbers…… ;-)

David Ure

@familyguy

Bahaha,

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I'd bet that 99% of failures (at least on most recent models) are due to users using poor quality or wrong batteries.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

There are a whole lot of things that could potentially not work in the field due to unfortunate events but I've not only used a Steripen (various versions) for a few years, I've seen and been around dozens of Steripens on various groups and trips over that span. The only issues I've seen have been related to forgetting to replace batteries before a trip or not appropriately keeping the device warm prior to use in winter (once warm, it'll work again). So there is definitely the possibility of not appropriately using a Steripen — like anything else. I have never seen a technical failure or broken device in the field.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

A group of us did a three day trip weekend before last. Everyone carried their own preferred treatment method, filter and chemicals were on the list.
    After the first day, everyone was relying on my SteriPEN. Because it was quicker, easier and in the end, lighter.

It was hot that weekend, we must have treated 10 gallons of water.

As of yesterday 2 other members of that trip have purchased there own SteriPENs.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate everyone sharing their perspectives when it comes to Steripen use and reliability. The advice offered here is quite helpful, and you have convinced me that in addition to fresh batteries, the instruction manual should be read prior to use in the field. Such a high price to pay for fresh water….

Dirk

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I take it surfing isn't your sport?
    Nope.
    Mountains and rock.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'd bet that 99% of failures (at least on most recent models) are due to users using
    > poor quality or wrong batteries.

The first generation of the first designs had mechanical assembly problems. All replaced under warranty.
    Very early models had a far-too-high off-state current drain. Isolate batteries between uses.
    The current models have the benefit of a lot of production experience.

Cheers

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

Roger, do you have any experience with the Journey?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Even though I don't feel comfortable relying on moving parts, or electronics and batteries in this case, the size and capabilities of the Steripen –and a wholesale price– won me over…hesitantly.

I ended up with the Steripen Adventurer 3 yrs ago. I have used it on three trips. The first two were trouble free. The last trip however, the thing had to tried repeatedly before it worked. Total, I have five days on this thing. Original batteries. All these trips were short totaling 3 nights. It could be the batteries….but the indicator light did not indicate a battery issue. What ever the case, I'm now even more hesitant to use it. My brother has a newer version he took to Mexico last winter. First trip and it completely stopped working. No indication it was the batteries in his either.

To be fair, it could be a simple battery problem in both. I can't speak for my brother but I'll have to think long and hard before I take mine in a remote area again. Fresh batteries or not, I'd feel like I was in Nevada at a gambling machine every time I pushed the button.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Although I know what you mean about relying on batteries in the outdoors, the same can be said for other methods of water treatment. Filter elements can crack, chemicals can sometimes fail or become less effective over time.

Your always reliant on something.

When I was young, I always boiled my water, whether I was in the back woods or in a foreign country.

If my steripen should fail for some reason, I can always fall back to boiling. But I am very experienced at fire making and can usually get a liter of water boiling pretty quickly.

I could always bring a chemical treatment as backup as well.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I want to love my Steripen. I usually travel where clear water is plentiful and don't want to carry a lot or wait on it. I have a classic. I used very good batteries. It usually works great the first day and then starts getting inconsistent. Spare batteries don't help much. I have considered purchasing a newer version but its a bit hard to purchase the new version when the original really didn't work well for me. Are the newer ones really a lot more reliable?

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Bought on 04/12/10, used one week in Grand Gulch, died on 08/25/11 in Pecos Wilderness…..mUV's RECHARGEABLE battery would not hold charge.

USB vs magnetic clips…not the issue….it's the cheap RECHARGEABLE battery in Meridian-Design's mUV that's the weakness.

Good luck if you decide to buy the "new", "upgraded", USB mUV. Be sure to take some tablets with you!Meridian-Design Return Addy

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Took it on a trip a couple of weeks ago. Did probably 3-4 liters a day and worked fine. I did have a time where it failed and the red light illuminated. It was within the first 15 seconds. Just hit the switch again and it went through the cycle as prescribed. I'm fine. Nice, easy light weight option. And the price was right when I got it on Sale at REI for $65.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools