Topic

Kilarney Park Mid-May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Kilarney Park Mid-May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Looking at doing a 100km loop in Kilarney Park here in Ontario and am thinking over my gear, here is the basic list:

Worn:
    Capline T-Shirt
    shorts
    boxers
    La Sportive Wildcat Trail Runners
    BD Expedition Poles

Shelter:
    MEC Scout Tarp — 14oz
    MLD Bug Bivy

6oz

Sleep:
    FF Viero

19oz
    OR
    WM Apache

32oz

BPL TorsoLite —- 9oz
    5mm Yellow MEC Pad 9oz
    Pillow stuffsack – 2oz

Cooking:
    Brunton Crux

3oz
    Snow Peak 1400 — 6oz

Packing:
    MEC Genie 30L

16oz
    OR
    Cilo 45L Worksack – 30ish oz

Clothing:
    R1 Hoody

12oz
    Alpine Light Parka- 14oz
    GoLite Phantom —- 12oz
    Pata windshirt

5oz
    OR Sun runner hat – 4oz
    Spare shirt

6oz
    2x spare socks —- 10oz
    1x spare boxers — 4oz
    Fleece Glove 100 — 4oz
    long pants

10oz

Consumables:
    Bug Juice
    Sunscreen

Other:
    Good Book
    Good Camera

As far as cooking goes I'm aiming for a mix of dry foods like coosecoose, ect

Concerns:
    -Bears+Mice — I have some wiremesh bags that I can bring for mice, but bears are a concern. I'll be hiking solo so may take bearspray and a SPOT. I think I'll need to hang my food.

-Tarp — a little concerned about how much protection the tarp+bivy will provide from rain

-Clothing — thinking of packing my 4oz OR Endeavor Mitts??? Is the Alpine Light Parka too much, I also have a nano puff pullover.
    I think the long pants may be needed w/ bugs, also thinking of bringing silkweight longjohns.

-Others — have left out stuff like a minamul first aid kit w/ foot care stuff (4-5oz), small knife (2oz), Bearspray (heavy), sunglasses, compass and map.

What do you guys think?

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Robert,

Killarney is on my list for the fall this year. I have not done the trail yet.

Couple of quick comments….

Black flies may be in full form depending on when you head up there in May. I would definitely consider packing a head net. I was just at Frontenac Provincial Park over the weekend and they were a bit rough when we stopped for breaks and in the evening until nearly sundown. I thought I was going to be there before they hatched and did not pack a head net…regretted it.

I personally would not bother with the bear spray. Do what you feel safe with…but my own feeling is that it is not needed in most Ontario parks. You will need to hang your food for sure and that should not be optional (unless using a canister). Also goes without saying that you need to practise good food handling while in camp, but otherwise I don't think you will have an issue.

Enjoy..and looking forward to the trip report since I am heading that way in September/October.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Sleep:
    FF Viero

19oz –
    OR
    WM Apache

32oz
    ******** ALWAYS Take the lighter option! And add an insulating layer to wear to sleep (That 14 oz parka will be the same as the added weight of the heavier sleeping bag, and MUCH more versatile)

Cooking:
    Brunton Crux

3oz
    Snow Peak 1400 — 6oz
    ******* Replace with a MYOG cat food can alcohol stove. Save a few oz.

Packing:
    MEC Genie 30L

16oz
    OR
    Cilo 45L Work-sack – 30ish oz
    ************** If you have the option of two similar pieces of gear – ALWAYS TAKE THE LIGHTER OPTION!

Spare shirt

6oz
    **** Huh? What is a "spare" shirt? NIX it and be at peace being smelly!

2x spare socks —- 10oz
    ********* 10 oz is a LOT! Find lightweight shorty RUNNING socks.

1x spare boxers — 4oz
    **** Huh? What is a "spare" pair of boxers for? NIX 'em!!

Other:
    Good Book
    ******* Easily NIXED. But if you really "want" it, make sure to take a TINY book!!!!

Concerns:
    -Bears+Mice — I have some wire-mesh bags that I can bring for mice, but bears are a concern. I'll be hiking solo so may take bear-spray.
    ******* Hang your food, no need for wire mesh bags. A piece of string is VERY versatile.

-Tarp — a little concerned about how much protection the tarp+bivy will provide from rain
    ********** Fear NOT, tarp camping is AWESOME! Practice setting up the tarp in your yard. Mark the heights required on your trekking poles, and make little "nubs" for the cord if you need to (Nubs can be made with a little tap and a tiny bit of glue)

-Clothing — thinking of packing my 4oz OR Endeavor Mitts??? Is the Alpine Light Parka too much, I also have a nano puff pullover.
    ************** If you have the option of two similar pieces of gear – ALWAYS TAKE THE LIGHTER OPTION! (but, factor in the lightweight sleeping bag, and take appropriate insulation to wear to bed so you insure warmth)

silk-weight long-johns.
    ********** Weigh these! Sometimes LIGHT-weigh long-johns are actually lighter than silk-weight! (you won't know without a scale) Lighter weight and more insulation.

-Others — have left out stuff like a minimal first aid kit w/ foot care stuff (4-5oz)
    ********** too heavy, 2oz is plenty.

small knife (2oz),
    ********** Nix and replace with a 0.1 oz single edge razor blade.

Bear-spray (heavy),
    ****** 13.2 oz, this is a safety item. Not sure of the bear concerns where you'll be, and if this is truly needed. Up to you. BUT – if you take it – WEAR IT AS A HOLSTER ON YOUR HIP, retro fit your pack so it works there! It's USELESS if you have to reach for it!

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Thanks, for the feed back, I'm going to have to take another look at my gear and refine the list a bit.
    I was on the fence about a headnet but ya its Ontario, I should pack one.
    The Viero gives me a bit of pause b/c it has no zipper, but its been cool so far this year.
    I think I will take bearspray though as it will be just me.

Jason Picard

@jasonpicard

Robert,
    I've been to Killarney countless times, usually in April or May, and in the fall months also. I haven't had ANY issues with mice or bears at either time of year. I've seen many bears from a distance while visiting, but they were all timid and we've never had any sign around campsites.

As for the mice, I haven't found any 'problem sites' for mice even in the popular stretches of the trail from the Crack to Silver Peak, and from the west trailhead through Three Narrows Lake. I have encountered mice problems at Algonquin and Bruce Peninsula, so I can appreciate the difference. Just be sure to hang ALL scented products in your food bag, and if at all possible I recommend cooking/eating someplace other than your campsite to reduce attractant scents.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Sounds like a fun trip. I hiked the La Cloche Silhouette trail there in fall 2008. Our GPS said it was about 80-85kms, which I think is accurate based on other sources as well. This was actually my first trip where I was trying to go light weight. Looking back, it's funny to think about the compromises we made and still were far heavier than I am today. For one, my friend and I didn't use shelter…we packed a tiny green solo tarp for emergencies and never actually set it up. The park attendant thought we were rediculous so we got 'High Risk' stamped on our pass. Ignore the camp sites shown on the permit, we just had to book sites to be allowed to hike, but we always just camped in random spots. We spent one (cold) night on Silver Peak.

Killarney

I would definitely take the lighter sleeping bag. That Alpine Light jacket is super warm and it should provide plenty of extra insulation when worn inside the bag is need be.

There's no way I would carry bear spray in Killarney but it's your life and your call.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools