Topic

2011 June JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2011 June JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Hoefler
    BPL Member

@talusterrapin

Locale: Happily wandering

…Deleted…

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Are you sure you can get all that into a Miniposa?

I couldn't…..

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Ya

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

I would question whether you could get everything in a Miniposa as well. And if you did it would probably be very uncomfortable. You should think of getting a framed pack for the load you plan on carrying. What is your longest stretch between re-supply (in days). It sounds like you’ll be getting close to 30 lbs when you add food, water, and a bear can.

Gear Comments:
    I think your ground insulation maybe a little light with only the Z-Light pad. You may want to add a GG thin-light.

Pants – lose the REI Hardshell Pants and hike in your North Face Climbing pants or visa-versa.

Boxer Briefs – lose those and use your running shorts for underwear. If it’s hot you can wear just those and when you need to wash them go commando for the day.

Bear Canister – If the Backpacker’s Cache doesn’t fit, the Bearikade certainly won’t. It had a 9 inch diameter compared to 8 for the cache. Weight wise I would certainly opt for the Bearikade.

Stream crossings – I doubt those Sprint Aquatics will be very good for stream crossings. You may want to get a pair of NRS HydroSkin Socks or something similar and wear your trail runners (I didn’t see your shoe selection). Your feet will most likely be getting wet from all the snow anyways so those will at least help keep your feet warm.

Good luck and have fun!

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Map
    Compass
    Sun hat
    Sunscreen

And I agree with previous posters that you need more of a pack.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

You are trying to blend 3 things, lightweight backpacking, mountaineering and photography. Be aware, this is gunna be tough to fit all your LIGHTWEIGHT ambitions into this mix of desires.

QUESTION – WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES???

NIX – Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner (114)

NIX, no need.

Tarp Tent Moment (810)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – Use a tarp, and save over 20 oz – camp well above tree line for minimal bugs.

Snow Peak litemax Stove (56) & Snow Peak Giga Power fuel 220 (220)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – Your entire cook system is lighter using a simple alcohol stove.

Plastic Measuring Cup (16)

NIX (no need)

=
    Ziploc For Stove and Mini bic (2)

NIX
    Green scrubber (2)

NIX
    Yellow sponge (8)

NIX
    Ziploc For Sponge/Scrubber/Soap (2)

NIX

Snow Peak litemax Stove (56) & Snow Peak Giga Power fuel 220 (220)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – Your entire cook system is lighter using a simple alcohol stove.
    =

Json Klass Gravity Pro (110)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – Just use the AQUAMIRA drops (repackaged)

Thermarest Pillow sack (54)

NIX –

Liner Socks: Injinji toe socks (44)

Do you really need these?

Uncle Harry's tooth powder in 2oz Container (26)

THis is too much, minimize

Tikka XP2 w/core (84)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – A petzl e+lite is 1 oz.

Kahtoolah Microspikes (362)

Do you really need these? Would skill and good ice axe use be safer? QUESTION – WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES???

Ice Axe BD Raven Pro 65Cm (464)

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item — there are lighter ice axes on the market.

Glasses Case (80)

NIX, wrap in a bandana or hat, and BE CAREFUL

Olympus E-420 w/ 14-42mm Lens (726)
    Olympus BLS1 (46)
    16 Gb CF card (52)
    Sea to Summit Sil Pack (66)
    Olympus 40-150 mm lens (292)

Yikes! That is a LOT of camera gear!

Solio (156) &BLS1 Recharge Dock (38)

Do you really need these?

TP (120)

NIX (no need)

Petzle Elios Helmet: Is this a CLIMBING TRIP? Or a lightweight hiking trip in the mountains?

River Wading shoes:

NIX (no need)

a pair of plasti-dip coated wool camp socks

NIX (no need)

Gravity Pro Filtration System:

NIX and REPLACE with a lighter item – Just use the AQUAMIRA drops (repackaged at under 2 oz)

Marmot and REI Hardshell: Considering going with Dri Ducks but I'm not thrilled with their durability.

DriDucks are NOT durable, but if you are in the Sierras, there should be minimal rain and bushwhacking. THe pants are lame (make a skirt) and the jackets are AWESOME! Leave the heavy jacket behind!

What are your shoes?

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

If you don't bring a sun hat you'll need a lot more than 1 ounce of sunscreen. Really, the sun is bright up there, particularly as it is reflected in the snow.

You are out for 26 days with one resupply, so if that resupply point is half way at Muir Trail Ranch then that would be 13 days of food in your pack, but if you go by your original plan of not resupplying until Reds Meadow it will be more like 18 days of food. At 1.5 pounds per day you are looking at 27 pounds of food, 15 pounds of gear per your list, 2 pounds for a bear can, 2 pounds for a quart of water, a total of 46 pounds. Still fit everything in your Miniposa?

billy goat
    BPL Member

@billygoat

Locale: West.

Good luck with that.

It sounds like you don't really want to hear what people think since you basically shot down everything everyone's said other than deciding you might need a sun hat (I recommend the OR Sun Runner btw) and to leave behind a camera lens.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with sacrificing going light in order to bring more camera/climbing gear. This is your trip. But when you post asking for people to review your list maybe you might want to really think about what people say rather than posting your defense of each item. Otherwise, why ask?

Regarding your list of peaks… looks like there's nothing harder than easy 4th – it doesn't seem like you'd need any extra pants or footwear for that list (why not just bring one pair of trail runners or approach shoes and one pair of pants total?). I also think that for something like this a helmet is not going to be worth its weight – but don't quote me on that. Since you're going to be alone up there, I suspect any potential head injury you may have will be a lot more serious than a helmet could protect you from. Just don't climb under other parties. Although, I would definitely bring the crampons and axe depending on your routes. Surprised you don't have Split Mt. on there.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

R S

@rps76

You want lighter pants that will also keep you warm(ish) while "mountaineering"? Patagonia Rock Guide Pants.

You are contemplating on NOT taking a helmet (because it's easy 3rd or 4th class climbing and from what I've read, because of weight) but think the micro-spikes and an ice axe are a definite regardless of weight? You really need to rethink this. Seriously, you scare me.

You plan on not bringing the shoes that are pretty much made for what you are going to be doing, even though they weight the same amount as the shoes you are bringing that aren't really made for what you will be doing? If you are wondering if your Sportiva's are going to be comfortable hiking in…I hike in my LS Boulder X's all the time and a buddy of mine just wore the same pair for a 300 mile trip through the Sierra's with a 65 lb pack and loved them.

And lastly, you can take Half Dome off the list, unless you are going to solo the Regular Route (in which I doubt because your name isn't Alex Honnold), because all the cable permits are sold.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Stephen wrote:

" The Mirco-spikes aren't a need, they're a want. I feel much more secure on precarious icy sections with them and that's about the extent of it."

I like that, nicely said. It's honest and it a overt verbalization of a simple gear issue. This is something a LOT of people avoid doing when they pack. One exercise I encourage when packing is to literally talk out-loud (to a friend or yourself) and really verbalize the perceived "need" over an item.

Also – Stephen is very clear he has multiple objectives. Hiking, Mountaineering and photography. Fair enough.

R S

@rps76

Yes, the Rock Guide pants are my favorite pants. I've worn them climbing granite during the summer and ice climbing. Super simple pants. You can roll them up above your knees if it gets too hot while hiking and they dry super fast. By far my favorite pants (granted I am very loyal to Patagonia).

The thing I love the best about the cables on Half Dome? When you finish actually climbing Half Dome, you never run into that "I wish someone was here to take a picture of us up top" moment. There are ALWAYS people up there who hiked the cables who will take you and your climbing partners photo. =)

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In my opinion microspikes aren't that useful. They are not a substitute for real crampons on steep snow/ice. I would decide if you need crampons for any of the climbs you are attempting. If so, I would bring real crampons. If not, I would leave the microspikes at home. They just aren't that helpful for their weight on well-traveled passes especially if a bunch of people have already kicked in steps that you can use. In my opinion, you would be safe on the passes with just an ice axe. If in doubt, cross the passes in the afternoon when the snow is soft.

Andrew

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i find microspikes or the hillsound trail crampons quite useful … especially on compacted snow/ice … where even a shallow slope can cause a nasty slip … my first rule is dont fall period … it all depends how much snow/ice yr expecting and what yr risk tolerance is

as to approach shoes …. note that my inov terrocs actually climb as well as my guide tennie … a competent climber should be able to easily climb 5.7+ in them … on the other hand the guide tennie and some other approach shoes have shiet for tread making them unsuitable for snow/ice/mud without … well you guessed it …. MICROSPIKES =P

R S

@rps76

Yet the Boulder X approach shoes have a Vibram sole that works quite well in mud/snow/ice. And, being a competent climber, I've climbed up to a 5.9 in my Boulder X's. Not something I do very much, or would I recommend, but it's nice knowing that I can do it if needed.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

yet … the OP specifically stated he didnt think the sportivas were comfortable for hiking … its like me telling you to get a pack which doesnt fit you …

simple point is if the OP thinks he can climb fine in whatever shoes he brings … im not going to tell him he cant do it

one doesnt NEED "approach" shoes to do easy climbs … point in case being that my terrocs have as "sticky" a rubber as some of my "approach" shoes … as tested on squamish slab

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Re: "i find microspikes or the hillsound trail crampons quite useful … especially on compacted snow/ice …" The ad says that microspikes also work on wet rock. Anyone test this out?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Robert… They work for me on the mossy and wet POS rocj and logs herein this rainforest we call vancouver

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Spikes can also leave permanent scratches on rock, so please be mindful of that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools