Topic

Henry Coe Late May/Early June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Henry Coe Late May/Early June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I was thinking about doing a overnighter to Coit Lake from Hunting Hollow. I've never been to Henry Coe before and was just curious if anyone has been there this time of year. I know its going to be hot and dry, but how available is water until you reach the lake.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I was there 2 weeks ago and went to Coit Lake via Wilson Peak & Kelly Lake. There was "a lot" of water by Coe standards. Sorry I don't have my map in front of me right now so I don't remember the exact trail / creek names. There was water in the creek that you follow for about 1 mile after dropping down from Wilson Peak. I returned on Wagon Road – not much water that way until Wilson Camp. Wilson Camp has several springs that were flowing well and I would expect them to continue into June. It should be a great trip – you will see a lot of wildflowers.

Andrew

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Which route do you intend to take? Entering through Hunting Hollow, I usually take Lyman-Wilson Ridge trail to the bowl trail, past Wilson Camp, then Wagon & Coit roads. Should be plenty of water in hunting hollow creek and wilson camp. Beyond this, there won't really be any sources until you reach the lake. You pass Wasno and Rodeo ponds on the way, but they're quite murky.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

I"m not sure on the the route yet. I'm getting the map in mail any day now.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hi Frank,

you can see the relevant part of the map here
    The route I took a couple of weeks ago from Hunting Hollow to Coit Lake was
    – Steer Ridge Trail (water at the pond near Wilson Peak)
    – Wilson Peak Trail
    – Grizzly Gulch Trail (there was water in Grizzly Gulch)
    – Dexter Trail
    – Kelly Lake Trail (water at Kelly Lake)
    – Coit Road (water at Coit Lake)

On the way back I went
    – Coit Road
    – Wagon Road (water at Wasno Pond)
    – Wasno Road
    – Thule Pond Trail (water at Thule Pond)
    – Serpentine Trail
    – Middle Steer Ridge Trail (water at the windmill)
    – Hunting Hollow (water all along the creek)

The flow in Grizzly Gulch will be way less by early June, but there should still be pockets of water in shady areas. The same is true (but with more water) for Hunting Hollow. Nevertheless you should find water at all these places.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Thank you guys. This information will help out alot.

Muhammad Rahbar

@taliesin

Locale: SF Bay Area

Cool, I'm actually planning to do a very similar trip at Henry Coe in two weeks.

A little tip: I do not recommend starting your trip off with going up Steer Ridge… It's a brutal climb, especially when your backpack is at full weight. I made that mistake a couple of years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools