Topic

3 configurations for 40F+ 3-4 day backpacking in the Catskills and Adirondacks….pick one and why?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 configurations for 40F+ 3-4 day backpacking in the Catskills and Adirondacks….pick one and why?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

In this link are three different configurations of a partial gear list I have been mulling over. The goal is to go lighter and have better coverage from the elements:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSJq6zGSEzhdFkxSW1wZ1lzMTZPWl80Y0lTTlI0SEE&hl=en&authkey=CIDcs_AE

Some additional details:

-Toss and turn side/stomach sleeper.
    -North East temps & humidity over 40F.
    – 3 or 4 day trips, no bushwhacking.
    – I'm 5-9 and 195 lbs. Athletic build.
    -Trails, generally no bushwhacking.

I'd like to know the actual weight of some items I've listed if you can help as well as what configuration you;d go with and why? They are very similar in weight. Thanks!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Of course I am open to any other suggestions so long as:

The gear is lighter.

Or…

The gear is the same weight but provides more protection/usability.

Thanks!

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I think the first list looks the best.

You have some pretty sweet gear there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

For a pack liner a Nylafume bag from your local exterminator is half the weight of a compactor bag. Gas and odor proof as well.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

@Josh – Don't own some of it yet, but "gearing" up to make some purchases. ;)

@Ken
    – never heard of nylofune bags. Nice tip! Time to research where to buy them and learn a bit more about them. :) So which setup would you take? Or would you mod one for even better result?

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I've tried to consider the pros and cons and the overall weight effect, not just one shelter vs. another.

Well today I went for the left most option in my spreadsheet, a tarp tent of sorts w/ bug netting that affords me much better rain coverage:

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/cubden.html

In the NE we have bugs so I'll appreciate the large bug-free space more often than not and this shelter will afford me better rain protection and sprawl out space with my quilt. Expect a BPL review when I receive it, I'm psyched!

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

never noticed the cub den before…nice for both weight and price.

I'll tell ya though, i'm still on the fence with the duomid and perimeter netting…i've had some rough nights with bug infiltration. I actually talked to the gent at bearpaw about getting a floor option for my duomid…i've just been holding off because of my lack of motivation to add weight to the setup.

The northeast is truly blessed with flying biting insects.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Yeah NE is bad for bugs, that's why the perimeter netting is a major plus vs my current poncho/tarp setup. I am fine w/ the floor not being completely enclosed in bug netting like the Hexamid because I have a polycro ground sheet to cover the floor, plus the perimeter netting from the Cub Den is very substantial and wraps under quite a bit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools